Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

failing emisions in oregon

Severity
06-18-2005, 04:37 PM
howdy yalls, i am having issues passing emissions in oregon. i have a JDM b18b block with a USDM b18a1 head, new spark splugs, wires, distributor, new Magnaflow catalytic convertor and a new bosch o2 sensor. before the new cat i was failing on hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, after the cat i am now failing on just the hydrocarbons. the weird thing is that the first time the hyrdocarbons were at 1.98, the second time they were at 2.72. they are supposed to be 1.20. i have had the magnaflow installed for a week, not sure if that could be an issue, i drove the car for at least 20 minutes before the second test. i have a "Driver's Guide to Clean Air" and it says the following for hydrocarbons:
Hydrocarbons (HC) are unburned fuel or oil. One of the most common causes of high HC levels is a misfiring engine. Some causes of misfiring include a lean fuel mixture (too much air) or faulty spark plugs. The following are potential problems:
* A misfire from the secondary system, like spark plugs and wires,
rotor, ignition coil, or distributor cap
* Vacuum leak or malfunctioning vacuum device
* Exhaust gas recirculation system malfunction or misadjustment
* Spark timing
* Air pump not working
* Catalytic convertor not working
* Worn valves, seals, guides or piston rings
* Carburetor or fuel injection system malfunctioning

i do have a short ram intake so i am thinking it might be a lean fuel mixture. i have a friend who has a chipped LS ecu and i was thinking that might enrich the air fuel mixture. i was also thinking maybe the new cat needs more time to start working or something, other than that i have no clue what to do. if anyone has ever had this problem or might have an idea how to fix this i would be greatly appreciative. this website is a great resource and you guys always seem to help me out.

Thanks!!!!!!

Severity
06-21-2005, 10:30 AM
doesn't anyone have an idea?? would the chipped ecu help at all?? i need to get tags on this thing FAST!!!!!!!!

thanks

Severity
06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
i think i may know what the problem is, but i could use some input. a friend of mine has a GSR in a hatch and also had emissions issues. he said the problem was the OEM civic exhaust was too restrictive and wasn't allowing the hydrocarbons to exit at normal idle. so he took his car on some backroads for a while and kept the revs above 3k while waiting in line at DEQ and reving to 6k every so often and right before he got out of the car and it passed. so i took my car to deq today, had been driving for a while, kept the revs up, maybe not long enough, didn't have to wait in line, rev'd it to 6k before i got out, and of course the deq people took a least 3 to 5 minutes to actually get in the car and move it to the dyno and test it. last time i got 2.7 g/mi and it idled for at least 10 minutes before the test, it was supposed to 1.2, this time i got 1.6 g/mi so i am thinking my friend might be right. anybody have any ideas? would a bigger exhaust help? maybe an EX exhaust? would a throttle position sensor be an issue?

Help!

Severity
06-28-2005, 04:17 PM
well, well, well. i managed to fix this shit myself without any of ya'lls! horray me. for anyone that may have this issue in the future (yeah right), i got an old throttle body of a 90 integra at the upull, cleaned it up, slapped it on, it had an unbroken dashpot diaphragm (mine broke during shipping), hooked that up, new pcv (inside of intake manifold was caked in oily shit) , took it to DEQ (in hillsboro, off wagon something st for the oregonians), had the engine shut off beforehand, let it coast down to the speed bump, when they wanted me to pull forward i rev up to 6k twice, shut it off, they tested it and it motherfucking PASSED! the limit was 1.20 grams/mile and that was it was exactly. and now i got my motherfucking tags on. hell yeah. take that deq.

Add your comment to this topic!