Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Making a Sound System...need help

hondadude555
06-18-2005, 02:14 AM
ok I have some 12" subwoofers I got from a tag sale today for $30. I got a 30x15x18" Rokford Fossgatte Box with 2 12" J,L Adio Subs inside.
One of the subs does not have the center (paper i think) cone on it. Would it still play well without it? what can I do to fix it? can I just seal the center with some rubber glue and not put a cone on it :uhoh: ? please help.

hondadude555
06-18-2005, 08:59 PM
hallo

Killswitch
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
If the sub doesn't have the center part then it shouldn't work at all. You should not have bought it if it's missing that much. If the JL Audio's work, just use them.

SupremeCutlass
06-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Actually, that depends. If it was forcefully removed, than he's probably right. If it looks like the glue came off, than it might (MIGHT) be repaired. That is, as long as it hasn't been used since the cone came off.

hondadude555
06-18-2005, 11:14 PM
the cone seems to be ripped off possibly because the music was played too loud previously and it just ripped off.
I do not have the center piece and theres a hole in the center of one of the 12" JL Audio subs now. The other sub is in good condition.

The rest of the ripped sub is perfectly well with no rips or anything except for the missing center piece, theres no damage to it, it is cleanly ripped off.

I tried the ripped sub by hooking it up to my speakers without an amplifier and it seems to work even though it doesnt have the center piece, but I dont know if it would work well with an amplifier and provide nice bass.
Ill try that tomorrow.

So should I not risk it and play it or just use the other good 12" Sub untill I get the center piece for the ripped one???

Where can I get the missing center piece that I can glue on?

SupremeCutlass
06-19-2005, 08:49 AM
I would just use the other sub. If you do find a replacement cone (i'm not exactly sure where you might find one to tell you the truth), make sure you don't use too much glue to put it on.

hondadude555
06-19-2005, 03:10 PM
ok thanks, ill try contacting JL Audio.

30 W amplifier that I found in my basement is doing really well with the 12" JL AUDIO SUB... I know...I am going to buy a better amp.

I have some distortion when I close my trunk. I think it might be some wires or loose plastic pieces in the trunk somewhere....how can I eliminate this? I tried stuffing some paper towels in the holes inside the trunk lid, but it didnt help.

hondadude555
06-21-2005, 11:45 PM
ok, fixed the rattling problem, it was some looses rubber flappers which i dont know the meaning for. took them off and the bass is great.

If I put in a 800W max 2 ch amplifier connected to 2 12" JL Audio Subs, and have my speakers work un-amplified, will my receiver experience an overload? will my speakers (which all are 50W rsm) have trouble? my recever is 160W max (4 x 40W).

Add your comment to this topic!