Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Slant six in my van?

83whiteramvan
06-17-2005, 04:26 PM
just wondering what size of six cylinder (cubic inches) is in my 1983 ramvan is it a slant six or was there more sixes available in 1983? thanks

BleedDodge
06-17-2005, 08:37 PM
It's a 225.

83whiteramvan
06-17-2005, 09:59 PM
It's a 225.
thanks, i was doing some research on the net and i guess they only put the slant 6 in trucks up to 87" is this right? also i hear this motor is really hard to kill. true?

restrorob
06-18-2005, 06:57 AM
thanks, i was doing some research on the net and i guess they only put the slant 6 in trucks up to 87" is this right? also i hear this motor is really hard to kill. true?

I don't know when they stopped using the slant 6 engine ,I've been out of the business for 14yrs. ,But I can tell you the slant engine is the best die-hard engine DODGE has ever built. :2cents:

83whiteramvan
06-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't know when they stopped using the slant 6 engine ,I've been out of the business for 14yrs. ,But I can tell you the slant engine is the best die-hard engine DODGE has ever built. :2cents:
Good to know, so i won't hang my head about having a six instead of a 318.

BleedDodge
06-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Unbreakable.

83whiteramvan
06-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Unbreakable.
Awesomw news, i picked up the whole van for 150.00, it was my neigbour's diseased husband's. It was "his baby" the underneath is in immaculate shape with the only rust being surface (on the white paint) now she said it had been sitting for about 2 yrs and now it won't start so i was wondering if you could give me some tips on restarting an engine that's been sitting a while.

restrorob
06-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Awesomw news, i picked up the whole van for 150.00, it was my neigbour's diseased husband's. It was "his baby" the underneath is in immaculate shape with the only rust being surface (on the white paint) now she said it had been sitting for about 2 yrs and now it won't start so i was wondering if you could give me some tips on restarting an engine that's been sitting a while.

My boss let his Toyota Mini Moter home sit for 5yrs.,Then asked me to get it running again.The first thing I did is get a quart of marvel mystery oil and removed the plugs and put some in each cylinder with a squirt can,Then put a socket wrench on the center bolt on the crank pulley and turned the engine by hand thus not blowing it out spinning with the starter. I let it sit till the next day and spun it over a couple more times and squirted more oil in each cylinder.I done this for three days as to clean any surface rust that may have been on the cylinder walls and lubricate the rings,Then on the forth day I blew the excess out with air and installed new plugs. Done a oil change and dropped the fuel tank and flushed the old fuel out then replaced the fuel hoses and filter.
This truck happened to be fuel injected so I had no carb. to deal with,But you should go ahead and rebuild the carb. because its gotta be all gummed up. When I hit the key it popped right off and ran just as it did before he parked it.
Oh I forgot to say after the oil change before I put the plug wires back on I spun the engine over to build oil pressure and fill all the passages.

83whiteramvan
06-18-2005, 05:02 PM
My boss let his Toyota Mini Moter home sit for 5yrs.,Then asked me to get it running again.The first thing I did is get a quart of marvel mystery oil and removed the plugs and put some in each cylinder with a squirt can,Then put a socket wrench on the center bolt on the crank pulley and turned the engine by hand thus not blowing it out spinning with the starter. I let it sit till the next day and spun it over a couple more times and squirted more oil in each cylinder.I done this for three days as to clean any surface rust that may have been on the cylinder walls and lubricate the rings,Then on the forth day I blew the excess out with air and installed new plugs. Done a oil change and dropped the fuel tank and flushed the old fuel out then replaced the fuel hoses and filter.
This truck happened to be fuel injected so I had no carb. to deal with,But you should go ahead and rebuild the carb. because its gotta be all gummed up. When I hit the key it popped right off and ran just as it did before he parked it.
Oh I forgot to say after the oil change before I put the plug wires back on I spun the engine over to build oil pressure and fill all the passages.
Thankyou very much for the info, i will start with the carb rebuild like you said and get any crap out of the gas tank as well, would you recommend a special oil with use of a additive when i do the change? by the way i have to correct myself her husband was deceased not diseased. thanks a ton

restrorob
06-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Thankyou very much for the info, i will start with the carb rebuild like you said and get any crap out of the gas tank as well, would you recommend a special oil with use of a additive when i do the change? by the way i have to correct myself her husband was deceased not diseased. thanks a ton

No additives to the oil I just never believed in any of them,As for the oil I was a Auto Service Tech. for over 12yrs. before changing professions and I witnessed the effects of many brands of oils and I ONLY use Castrol GTX in everything I own including my lawn mowers.
Should you drop the tank you should go ahead and replace the rotten fuel hoses there also.

tgbg
06-18-2005, 05:47 PM
just wondering what size of six cylinder (cubic inches) is in my 1983 ramvan is it a slant six or was there more sixes available in 1983? thanks

For anything you need to know about the /6 look at:
http://www.slantsix.org/

BleedDodge
06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Two years and you're going to rebuild the carb? Wow. Maybe if it needs it, I can see that. It's probably fine.

My Turismo 2.2 had been sitting for eleven years and I just put some gas in it, checked the oil, and stuck a battery in there and it ran like it was the day it was parked.

With that six I'd never be scared of just putting a battery in it and making sure it had some oil in it, and try starting it. I don't think you can kill those things...

restrorob
06-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Two years and you're going to rebuild the carb? Wow. Maybe if it needs it, I can see that. It's probably fine.

My Turismo 2.2 had been sitting for eleven years and I just put some gas in it, checked the oil, and stuck a battery in there and it ran like it was the day it was parked.

With that six I'd never be scared of just putting a battery in it and making sure it had some oil in it, and try starting it. I don't think you can kill those things...

It's better to go ahead and spend the 18.00 or so bucks now for a kit and make sure it's ok than to find out it isn't and be stuck with a huge tow truck bill.

83whiteramvan
06-18-2005, 07:45 PM
thanks for the link tgbg. is there a way by looking at the carb to tell if it's gummed up without tearing it a part first? it must be a one barrel is it not?

tgbg
06-19-2005, 11:40 AM
thanks for the link tgbg. is there a way by looking at the carb to tell if it's gummed up without tearing it a part first? it must be a one barrel is it not?

The most common is the one barrel unless its a supersix then its a two barrel. The carburator being gummed up is not very common, my Dart -63 225 /6 has been sitting for ten years now but it started right away with som fresh gas. Try removing the airfilter and pour about 2-3 tablespoons of gas right in the carb and try to start. If it starts but stops almost immediatly (runs only on the gas you poured in) its a problem with the fuel system; filter, pump, tank or carb. If it dont start check the ignition so that there is a spark.

83whiteramvan
06-19-2005, 04:54 PM
The most common is the one barrel unless its a supersix then its a two barrel. The carburator being gummed up is not very common, my Dart -63 225 /6 has been sitting for ten years now but it started right away with som fresh gas. Try removing the airfilter and pour about 2-3 tablespoons of gas right in the carb and try to start. If it starts but stops almost immediatly (runs only on the gas you poured in) its a problem with the fuel system; filter, pump, tank or carb. If it dont start check the ignition so that there is a spark.
okay guys i'll do that and let you know how i make out thanks a ton for your help. ( if i have to rebuild the carb i probably would just buy a two barrel instead good idea?)

tgbg
06-20-2005, 04:21 AM
okay guys i'll do that and let you know how i make out thanks a ton for your help. ( if i have to rebuild the carb i probably would just buy a two barrel instead good idea?)

If you have a supersix (2 bbl) then its just to buy a good secondhand 2bbl carb but if you have the 1 bbl you have to change som more stuff to get a 2 bbl on. Intake manifold throttle, linkage, airfilterhousing.
The difference in hp is not that big from the 1bbl (about 15) and if you are going for som more hp and dont mind a bit of work look for an aftermarket 4bbl intake and carb. I know there are several manufacturers of 4bbl intakes. And then you can go for headers and maybe cam. There are a lot of hp to get out of the /6. Read in the engine forum on slantsix.org and you will find a lot of info on this.

Myself I just started rebuilding a /6 that will get fuelinjection and turbo.

83whiteramvan
06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Okay thanks fella's i'll keep you in touch on how it goes..probably next week.

83whiteramvan
06-20-2005, 05:52 PM
If you have a supersix (2 bbl) then its just to buy a good secondhand 2bbl carb but if you have the 1 bbl you have to change som more stuff to get a 2 bbl on. Intake manifold throttle, linkage, airfilterhousing.
The difference in hp is not that big from the 1bbl (about 15) and if you are going for som more hp and dont mind a bit of work look for an aftermarket 4bbl intake and carb. I know there are several manufacturers of 4bbl intakes. And then you can go for headers and maybe cam. There are a lot of hp to get out of the /6. Read in the engine forum on slantsix.org and you will find a lot of info on this.

Myself I just started rebuilding a /6 that will get fuelinjection and turbo.
a turbo with fuel injection! i guess these motors are worth keeping (i'm new to mopar since i picked up this ramvan) but i've been hearing amazing things about this engine (from people other than this sight also) for a very long time, in fact i remember when i was 19 i almost bought a scamp (can't remember the year for the life of me) off a guy with a slant six but it i thought at the time i'm going to get flack off the old man for bring'ing it home and when i told him about it his first reaction was "oh a /6 can't kill that motor" totally shocked that he was impressed we went back to find out it was sold. Anyway this is my second chance to own one of these motors so i have total respect for it from what i've heard about all my life. I also went on www.cardomain.com "i think that's how you spell it" and out of the many ramvans registered on that sight i have'nt seen an 83 yet kinda cool, i want to restore this van because it won't cost much for the body it's in nice shape and it was "just a v6" but now i know it's not just a v6 and something far more it would be fully worth it to bring this van back to original form. By the way what is your turbo /6 going into? interested to hear.

tgbg
06-21-2005, 06:03 AM
By the way what is your turbo /6 going into? interested to hear.

I plan to put it in my -63 Dart. I used to be all about V8's but then its cool to be able to outrun someone with a V8 and when they ask what you got you answer "oh just a six" Its also fun to outrun the kids with their honda's or peugeot's It's reel nice to see the look on their faces when they loose to some beat up old car. The idea is to get a really nice engine, transmission and rearaxle but let the car look on the outside like its about to go to the wreckingyard.

83whiteramvan
06-21-2005, 06:49 AM
thats killer, i'd love to see the look on those kids face when you whip em also. I don't like the Honda's to start with but when all they have for (performance mods) is that loud fart of a joke muffler i can't stand them.

tgbg
06-22-2005, 09:00 AM
This is not van related but my project can be seen here:
http://hem.bredband.net/dodgedart/

Tomas

83whiteramvan
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
nice project! i love seeing old cars being restored (i don't appreciate the aerodynamic looking new ones) do you know anything about vans i am picking mine up in a couple of days can;t wait! but the badges say RAM 150 CUSTOM on the doors (i think or it was 750) i can't find anything on this 1983 on the net like pictures or any info. This van is strange to me because it has the single round headlamps where i think the 1500 models had two on each side, how long does the van have to be to be considered a stubby? where do you measure from? thx

83whiteramvan
06-23-2005, 09:26 PM
hey boys i'm getting pumped about picking up my 83 dodge on saturday morn, going to throw some gas down the carb take out the 2-3 yr old crap out of the tank and fill her up with some fresh gas and see how that old slant 6 holds her reputation, i will check the oil first lol. I'll let you guys know how it goes then get some pics to you. By the way it's not my first dodge i have a 98 dakota with a 318, it;s just my first older dodge and i'm exited because it almost matches the year of my 82 mustang gt. lets go retro!

83whiteramvan
06-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Ok boys here it is: i pushed the van over from my neighbours today and checked the gas guage after i put i a good battery (it;s been sitting for 3 yrs.) the tank was almost half full i siffened as much as much of the old gas i could and put in premium gas, i checked the oil and it had a nice gold color to it so i figured it was good enough to start up and YES man a few pumps on the pedal and the slant 6 fired right up and kept idle with no hesitation!! i was expecting mabye that i would have some problems but holy crap man i stand outside it and put my arm through the window and turn the key it instantly fires up! i will take it to flush the tranny and and a full tune-up as well as the fuel filter changed and regular maintenance things but besides that every light works the way it should brakes are nice and spongy (not even close to the floor) for crying out loud even the emercency brake still works mint! tires have full tread --i'm going to have this van certified no prob! all for 150$. i read the odometer and it says 117,000 km on it the people only used it for camping since they bought it in 85'.. there are no holes in the body but i'm going to treat it to a sweet paint job probably black (my favorite on a van) thanks again for the help on my questions i will try to get some pics of this stubby for you.

Add your comment to this topic!