Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Itr

tenzoracerevovii
04-18-2002, 10:20 PM
ok.....finally i started painting the revell ITR again and it's coming out ok...only problem is that AFTER i put one two coats of paint...i noticed a LOT of freakin problems.....the installation of the rear bumper came out really messy and i filled the spoiler holes and it looks bad....i used some green putty stuff that says it only needs 30 minutes of drying time....the putty seems to sink in....how long do you recommend i leave it?.....should i cover the other side w/ something?.....MANNN!!....i have to go buy some CSC again....:(....at least i'm learning to be patient like you guys now...if this was two years ago.....the ITR would've been smashed by now.....i've painted and repainted this car about 6 times now
can't wait to start another car......my bro in law is into model cars now and we're planning on building the dynamic SPOON duo from fujimi...anyone have any comments on those kits??...the CTR and ITR...

wkma7six
04-18-2002, 10:31 PM
What kind of putty are you using? You need to keep it in a warm area for a few days if you used a lot of putty. I've had an instance years ago when I got back into this hobby where I put about 1/8" or 3cm thick of model putty. If its only about 1mm thick it should dry in about 3 days if weather is warm. You're in Long Beach right? Its been kinda cool in So. Cali. After the putty you need to prep the surface with sealer or a primer. Very Important! Especially when using putty. I'm sorry to say this, but PATIENCE is the key my friend. I've got lotsa models that are still in their primered state. Take a look at the pics on some of my posts.
Patience yields the best results.

Jay!
04-19-2002, 01:58 AM
(Yes, it is worth repeating...)Originally posted by tenzoracerevovii
MANNN!!....i have to go buy some CSC again....:(....

flyonthewall
04-19-2002, 05:28 AM
Putty will sink when its dry, so the way to use it is add a little more than u need, then sand it down once dry.

daggerlee
04-19-2002, 06:22 AM
I follow the directions on the Squadron tube, I wait thirty minutes before sanding. If it's a big chunk then I'll wait half a day because after thirty minutes its still soft.

primera man
04-20-2002, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by daggerlee
I follow the directions on the Squadron tube, I wait thirty minutes before sanding. If it's a big chunk then I'll wait half a day because after thirty minutes its still soft.

Ditto....its the same stuff as i use and i do the same.

tenzoracerevovii
04-22-2002, 12:17 AM
whoa....i just bought a new ITR to make (cuz i'm giving the first one to my friend) and i put some putty on it....and it ate into the plastic!!....i left it on for a while because it was still soft after 30 min as the tube said (i bought squadron too, the green one) ..... i sanded it today...and there are like, big ol scratches in the plastic!...and theres holes, from bubbles i guess.....DAMN!!!....can someone walk me through this!....frustrated....why are there little holes in the putty?....

wkma7six
04-22-2002, 01:02 AM
Do it layers!!! Don't do it all at once. You need to let it dry slowly in layers so it won't allow for as many air bubbles to get trapped. What you did was put too much putty and the high solvent content within the putty started to dissolve the styrene on your kit. Must be patient with this hobby!!
Walter

primera man
04-22-2002, 04:06 AM
IT ATE THE PLASTIC :eek: :eek:
Whats the green Putty??
This is the one here i use with no problems

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/762743MVC-135F.JPG

daggerlee
04-22-2002, 05:49 AM
If you use too big a chunk the toulene vapors will dissolve the plastic, that's what it says on the label "Don't use as aircraft nose weight" a bunch of people tried using a big chunk to weight their airplanes and they had nothing to show for it but a twisted piece of plastic :(

mhpspeed
04-22-2002, 09:18 PM
u said if ne one had comments on the fujima spoon ctr and itr well i bought the itr for $35 and that was a rip off. it has low detail there really wide and big for a 1/24 model and the wheels are too big and fall off unless u glue them on and then they dont spin. i was very dissapointed in this model. when built it looks nothing like the box. too bad it dosent come witha engine. in my opinion i dont think u should get this. and with ur putty ivr never had that happened that must suck. i have some off brand i tryed from my hobby store and it works great. I used it to smooth in my blinker lights in the front of my itr.

tenzoracerevovii
04-26-2002, 01:30 AM
i used the squadron kind....like the one primera man had....except mine was green......so...layers eh?......THANKS A BUNCH for the advice......also....what you guys think i should do about the car?....it's not really holes....it's just.....little grooves....uneven grooves on the trunk lid.....should i just do it in layers then put a little putty on top of the lid too?......thanks again for the advice..

mhpspeed: really?....damn....that really sucks because i wanted to buy one of those kits.....shoot....my brother in law is a honda freak so he wants to build a civic eg SiR.......cuz that's the car he has.....anyone know a good kit for that car?...also.....i want to buy another kit soon.....any good kits thats cool for a beginner?.....thanks again

patate
04-26-2002, 12:04 PM
you could buy these kits because everything could be done on plastic or styrene (its my opinion)

and I use bondo glazing and spot putty and it work very well for me you should try it.

Lownslow
04-26-2002, 01:46 PM

squadron putty is SH!T i used it on a R32 trying to make a Veilside widebodykit but all it did was sink and sag i tossed the Whole car away. i learned my lesson and begun using 1:1 putty and bondo never had a problem with it yet. another good putty is Dynatron putty & filler works great sands easy too

tenzoracerevovii
04-27-2002, 12:50 AM
yea.....i used bondo and spot putty before....and it worked fine.....but i went to the hobby shop and i heard people in this forum talk about putties so i decided to try it since people in these forums are very informative.....i'm very happy about the polishing compound.....but the putty, i dont' know....i'll try to use it since i got it.....but if not....i'm using bondo again,......

Add your comment to this topic!