Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Torn Boot

RSLaser
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Alright a new problem emerges right befor im about to leave for school...the driver side cv joint cover is torn. Now i have a couple questions here. How would a boot just tear or would it even? When i am driving i hear a slight clicking noise, that when i put it in 5th at about 50 and try to accelerate i can hear it a little louder and longer.
Is the CV joint shot...or is it just the boot tore and now i can hear it? Or does it mean its about to go bad?

~Thx Matt

macder
06-17-2005, 08:59 PM
The boot is there to keep the grease in the joint and keep dirt out. When it tears, stuff like rain, snow, etc... wash away the grease quicker then you think. Your cv joint will also get contaminated with road dirt. If you don't change the boot in time it will screw up your cv joint. I suggest you replace the boot ASAP before causing more damage. In the mean time, you should grease up your cv joint.

Turbodog97
06-18-2005, 11:50 PM
You sure its the boot? Is the sound all the time or just when you turn?
On front wheel drive cars like ours the boot just starts to crack over time and then eventually tears and then pop there ya go. I wouldnt wait too long to replace it.

Add your comment to this topic!