Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jeep wrangler yj 87-95 multi turn/wiper delay switch

abestoller
06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
This thing fell off the steering column. Looks like the piece of metal at the end broke off. Now there is a little metal stub at the end which i'm looking at and the other piece of metal looks like it is still inside the steering column. I found a replacement for 26 bucks on ebay. Now I need to know how to install it. How do I get that metal out number one? And is the one I have now reparable? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am definitely not a mechanic but know the jeep pretty well and have worked on it quite a bit. Please help.

abe

fredjacksonsan
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Sounds like you'll need the new control stock (probably dealer only).

To remove the old part, take off the plastic shroud around the steering column, and you should be able to get to where it's stuck. There's either a release catch or a screw that holds in the old one, it will take a little bit of looking to find it. (Be careful with the plastic electrical connections, they could be tough to separate) Once you've located it, shouldn't be hard to remove. New one snaps in, hook up the electrical connections, and you're good to go.

GreenJeep10
06-27-2005, 12:00 PM
www.jeepsareus.com has one for around $30. Thats were I got the one for my 97.

abestoller
06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
www.jeepsareus.com has one for around $30. Thats were I got the one for my 97.

Thanks. I already got the piece....from jeepsareus also. Anyway, how did you replace it? Did you have a piece of metal broken off in there also?

abestoller
06-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Sounds like you'll need the new control stock (probably dealer only).

To remove the old part, take off the plastic shroud around the steering column, and you should be able to get to where it's stuck. There's either a release catch or a screw that holds in the old one, it will take a little bit of looking to find it. (Be careful with the plastic electrical connections, they could be tough to separate) Once you've located it, shouldn't be hard to remove. New one snaps in, hook up the electrical connections, and you're good to go.

Thanks. Doesn't look like the shroud comes off with taking the whole damn steering wheel off. Is it very difficult to take the steering wheel off? It's a 92 if that matters.

GreenJeep10
06-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Here was the directions for my turn signal change out btu mine is a 97. I think your is different. Didn't have a metal piece broken off. Sorry.

Feb. Post
I just got done replacing my turn signal switch on my 97 wrangler. I had the same problem when turning right it wouldn't shut off. Found a website that told how to do it and it looked easy as pop the old one out a put the new one in........Its alittle tricker than that but still not hard. First remove lower dash srews. Lower dash hinges down but will bind on the head light switch and ignition key ring. Lift the lower dash abit to clear the light switch and if the interior is warm the lower dash will flex enough to get around the key ring. Then remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the steering column. The lower portion of the column will not come off unless you remove the ignition key ring. I was able to leave it on. The top potion is abit of a pain. Lower the steering wheel to increase your area to work. Then move, tweek and jostle the thing outta there. Again a warn intererior will make the pastic alittle more flexable. When you remove that you will notice a rubber rain cover over the hazard and turn signal switch. You need to remove it but be careful. Mine was glued down. I used a puddy knife a carefully scraped it until it was off. I kept it in one peice with a few tears at glue points. The remove the 2 screws one the top of the bracket around the switch, the bottom screw is a T25 torkes. To get to this I used a small ratchet. After the bracket is removed the switch lifts out with the 2 wire bundles in the back still attached. Removed the wire connections and it is completely out. Keep an eye on the cable fot the tilt steering I knocked mine off while removing the top portion of the column. Removing the cable from the tilt handle may give you more room to remove and insert the new switch. To reinstall do the things I discribed in reverese. TEST SWITCH BEFORE CONTINUEING......Getting the top portion is abit of a pain but be patient and you will get it. When getting the lower dash back on hook in the lower hinges and lift up. Again the ignition ring and light switch will bind. Flex the lower dash to the right to get around the key ring and besure that the left side hinges don't come out. To get the lower dash over the light switch gently push on the lower side of the dash and it will flex enough to get around the light switch. Replace screws and you are done. Time for a test drive. I hope this helps anyone who needs to relplace a turn signal switch on 97 and up wranglers.

Add your comment to this topic!