Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo Overheating

keithw
06-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Well, I think I might be the victim of another radiator problem but I thought I'd let you guys help me determine that. My truck (1996 Rodeo, 3.2L, 150K) overheated on my while on my way home. While driving down the tollway, I noticed that my temperature gauge was past mid point but not on the "H" so I kept an eye on it. The needle started rising again and ended up on the "H". Before I could get off the tollway it shut down. I have replaced the thermostat, water pump and pulley but I'm still losing water from somewhere when the pressure builds up. I don't think it's coming from the radiator only because I bent down and looked under the truck to see the water coming from about where the water pump is, hence the reason I replaced it. Any suggestions?

amigo-2k
06-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Replace the Rad.

Cat Fuzz
06-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Double check your coolant level. My truck was overheating simply because it was missing 1/2 gallon of coolant. Most other cars could do without the 1/2 gallon. Did you check your overflow tank? Is there too little or to much belching out into the overflow tank? You could have a bad radiator cap that isn't holding proper system pressure. When the engine gets too hot, the cap should relieve some pressure and you will get coolant overflow into the overflow tank.

keithw
06-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Double check your coolant level. My truck was overheating simply because it was missing 1/2 gallon of coolant. Most other cars could do without the 1/2 gallon. Did you check your overflow tank? Is there too little or to much belching out into the overflow tank? You could have a bad radiator cap that isn't holding proper system pressure. When the engine gets too hot, the cap should relieve some pressure and you will get coolant overflow into the overflow tank.

Cat Fuzz,

I'll definately check the coolant level but my concern is why I'm seeing water spill on to the street when it get's hot.

Cat Fuzz
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Cat Fuzz,

I'll definately check the coolant level but my concern is why I'm seeing water spill on to the street when it get's hot.

Your overflow tank can also overflow. You might want to check the condition of the tube that leads from the rad to the overflow tank as well. Could be busted. Other than that, its just matter of trying to locate exactly where the coolant is coming from.

TPatti
06-16-2005, 10:33 PM
I would check your waterpump. It's behind the plastic cover for the timing belt, so if it was leaking it wouldn't be obvious. Also check and see if the thermostat is opening.

Add your comment to this topic!