New car...I hope.

Whumbachumba
06-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, it's that time, going off to college and needing a more reliable car than a 1993 Oldsmobile Ninety-eight Regency Elite. So, my dad has started looking at a new car for him so I will get the Honda(honduh). It is a 2001 Accord v6 EX. He's looking at the new Toyota Avalon XLS. It looks simply stunning and powerful as hell.

Anyways, I was just wondering what y'all would suggest to start with the upgrading on the Honda. I was thinking of CAI and exhaust. But, I don't exactly know who to go with for either, so any help on first upgrades, and future upgrades would be beneficial. Thanks.

CassiesMan
06-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Exhaust, intake, chip, and headers. Guy in my fraternity had the V6 two door with that stuff plus a short throw, and it could move. For Honda, the only names I know are Mugen, Spoon, and Nuespeed. I'd recomend Neuspeed, but thats only beacause my "cousin" has a bunch of thier stuff on his A4, and that thing fucking flew...

Whumbachumba
06-16-2005, 12:08 AM
I've been recommended HKS for the exhaust and Megan for the headers. Also, Unorthodox Racing for pulleys/gears. But, I was really looking for a cheaper alternative then going out and buying a factory exhaust for 600 bucks for dual tip. Also, it's a four door, not a coupe.

Also heard about weight reduction, which I really don't want to do with all the power equipment and leather, and super chargers. But, both of those are out of the question due to cost. Thanks for the help.

Igovert500
06-16-2005, 12:18 AM
I'm a firm believer brand of intake and exhaust really is overrated. Generally all you gain out of going with namebrand is that name...possibly a sticker. Go get an ebay intake and a custom built exhaust at meineke for less than $400. The difference will be negligible...except in price.

I used to have an Accord, and my friend had the same one. I went with no-name, he spent 4x as much and got top of the line name brand. In the 1/4 he'd beat me by 1/10 of a second. You decide if that is worth the cost.

Whumbachumba
06-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Well, at stock I'm going to be beating most of the racers around here anyways, so I can say, that I won't have a problem going with non-name brand equipment.

CassiesMan
06-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Damn...if your beating them in a stock V6 Accord 4 door, my ass is going out there, cuz around here...I get the occasional ricer or cool guy with a slwoer car, but for the most part...I'm seeing alot of EVOs, STis, SRT-4s, coupla ///M3s, Z06s...all the slow cars are gone...of course, graduation was two weeks ago...I give it another three weeks before they are all wrecked.

Whumbachumba
06-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Come on down. We mainly got civies and preludes. Have a Evo VII, a couple STi's, one Cobb Tuned STi (1 of 16 made), a few Supra's (never really see them though), and Eclipses. Not many higher end cars that race, except when the ricers are annoying them probably.

clawhammer
06-16-2005, 10:21 AM
If it's an auto Accord than the first mod would be to install a manual 6-speed along with probably a stage 1 clutch.

Whumbachumba
06-16-2005, 12:35 PM
If it's an auto Accord than the first mod would be to install a manual 6-speed along with probably a stage 1 clutch.

Well, the EX is the top of the line model for the Accord so it only came in auto. I was thinking that maybe I could get a new sequintial shift so I can still have my auto for when I'm in traffic, but have the manual for racing and hitting those higher rpms. The only thing is, I don't know if they make one that will work on this model/year.

BP2K2Max
06-17-2005, 10:47 AM
i've heard of people converting their v6 accords to 5 speeds, i just don't know what kind of car they'd get the tranny from. does the 4 cylinder's tranny match up?

IMO that sport shift triptronic thing is bullshit. my friend has it in his 3.2 CL-s and honestly the car shifts faster in regular automatic. the auto tranny will do double downshifts and knows where to be to make optimal power. in manual mod it's a good second or two before the tranny actually shifts after you push the knob forward and you have to get used to the fact that it doesn't shift the second you want it to, like if you want the tranny to shift at like 6500 rpm you have to push the shift knob forward at like 6000. plus your car's still packing the xtra 100+ lbs of an automatic tranny.

Add your comment to this topic!