Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bad news equals new car

booya.achieved
06-15-2005, 07:58 PM
ok i started a thread about a week ago concerning me getting a new car, i was going to get a car of my own but now my sister wrecked her car and now we have to share a car. theres my problem. i was going to get something sporty and fun but now she wants something cute and economical. we only have about 5 grand to spend. i want something somewhat sporty but that is economical. my sister had a jetta and now wants an older golf or she wants a civic coupe, both seem OK with me but the golf is heavy and hard to work on, and the civic is underpowered. if you guys have any suggestions or other cars or anything please feel free.

flatlander757
06-15-2005, 08:00 PM
buy her a $1000 beater and get yourself a nice muscle car :smokin:

mason_RsX
06-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Price range? does 2 doors matter?

Id suggest an used RSX, mabe a type S if you wanna spend a bit more, its amazing on fuel economy, and can be tone of fun if u put her in the high rpms...Id also suggest a used Cavi Z24, your gonna get a good quality one owned by on old woman cheap, its got great economy, is a bit peppy, and you can get a GM supercharger if you want some extra go....and last, Id suggest a Scion Tc, its got great quality, reliability, and a tiny bit of punch, you can also get a TRD supercharger if you want some more punch, but it'll cost you more than a Cavi

booya.achieved
06-15-2005, 08:10 PM
hey man ive only got 5K, new cars are really out of the question, but yea the cavy is a possiblity. anything else

Zachp911
06-15-2005, 08:21 PM
ok i started a thread about a week ago concerning me getting a new car, i was going to get a car of my own but now my sister wrecked her car and now we have to share a car. theres my problem. i was going to get something sporty and fun but now she wants something cute and economical. we only have about 5 grand to spend. i want something somewhat sporty but that is economical. my sister had a jetta and now wants an older golf or she wants a civic coupe, both seem OK with me but the golf is heavy and hard to work on, and the civic is underpowered. if you guys have any suggestions or other cars or anything please feel free.

I'd suggest a 4th gen Prelude or an Integra.

kman10587
06-15-2005, 08:51 PM
I guess that rules out the Miata. In that case, I'd go for a '92-'95 Honda Civic or a '95-'99 Dodge Neon R/T. Both of these are sporty and fun, yet economical and reliable compacts, that come in both two-door or four-door body styles, have a large aftermarket following, and should be more than suitable for your sister's needs.

BP2K2Max
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
sharing a car never works out. if i were in your position i'd split the 5K two ways and get yourselves each a car.

if that's not good, i agree with ludespeed, seems like a prelude would be a great car for your situation; reliable, pretty fast, handles great, lots of fun and has a huge aftermarket.

mason_RsX
06-17-2005, 07:30 AM
but if your gonna have more trouble looking for a $2500 car thats reliable, and the probability goes up that you get a hunk of junk

flatlander757
06-17-2005, 09:24 AM
i got a reliable, great condition, Z28 for $2200. look hard. you'll find better deals in the classifieds when there aren't pictures. a lot of people skip over ads without a photo. if you take the time to go look at it yourself, chances are you could possibly make out like a burglar like i did.

slideways...
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
again i say this: Get a 1991-1993 sentra SE-R
so easy to work on
140hp in a 2300 lb car wont feel slow
very reliable engine will last forever
want more power? SR20DE + T
with a very basic upgrade to suspension, will outhandle many many other cars.

Zachp911
06-18-2005, 11:18 AM
go look on www.autotrader.com and see what you can find for $5k or under, then let us know what choices you have.

BlackGT2000
06-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Thats the best advice I have heard so far.

del
06-19-2005, 10:51 AM
i'd also suggest a 4th gen prelude. you shoudl be able to find one in good condition for 5k or less. gives you the sportiness you're looking for. i guess some couldm consider them 'cute'. they're fairly economical but you'll get better mileage in a civic or teg. good luck

Add your comment to this topic!