Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Buick Century stalling in drive

Ray S
06-15-2005, 06:54 PM
I have a 1990 Buick Century with 49000 miles on it. When I drive it for about an hour and I stop it stalls. It starts up right away but as soon as I put it into drive it stalls agene. Some times if I put it into neutral and start it I can put it into drive and it runs OK until I stop agene. The gas tank sending unit is stuck and the gage doesn’t work properly, however I know the tank is full. The car runs good in park or neutral. But as soon as I put it into gear it stalls. A Bulldog Remote Starter was installed prier to my purchase. I had to disable it by removing two fuses because it was draining the battery. I noticed that a wire from the unit goes into the brake switch. If this any help in solving my problem. Can anyone help me?

bboyillusion
06-16-2005, 10:48 AM
i am having the same problems but this is what i did and it is really gay but it is working better now...

Take out you radio fuse and you ( it hink it is the) cyty fuse (the on under the radio) this helps... let your car run for a while then shut it off and do something for a good period of time, come back to it, should runn great..

sellncars
06-17-2005, 09:38 PM
There is a switch on your transmission, torque converter clutch solenoid actually is it's name. It is on the front driver side of the car. Unplug that switch, it's for your overdrive and see if it will stay running in gear. If it stays running take it to a tranny repair shop or a dealer and have it replaced. Labor for the switch should be depending on your transmission either 1.7Hrs or 3.6 Hrs and i think the part is like $100.00 or right around there.

Good luck,
Sellncars

I have a 1990 Buick Century with 49000 miles on it. When I drive it for about an hour and I stop it stalls. It starts up right away but as soon as I put it into drive it stalls agene. Some times if I put it into neutral and start it I can put it into drive and it runs OK until I stop agene. The gas tank sending unit is stuck and the gage doesn’t work properly, however I know the tank is full. The car runs good in park or neutral. But as soon as I put it into gear it stalls. A Bulldog Remote Starter was installed prier to my purchase. I had to disable it by removing two fuses because it was draining the battery. I noticed that a wire from the unit goes into the brake switch. If this any help in solving my problem. Can anyone help me?

jwichman
06-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I believe that the torque converter clutch (TCC) soleniod is wired to its own switch on the brake pedal or wired with the brake light switch. That way when you hit the brakes the TCC unlocks. If the remote starter installation modified the wiring on the brake pedal switches and it is your TCC causing the problem, it may be due to the wire you noticed.

coollinks2k4
06-28-2005, 11:35 PM
sellncars is right i have a 92 buick century and when i bought it the lady said something was disconnected otherwise my car would have problems,
well i reconnected it and my car stalled, no crap ..as soon as i put in park!
disconnect the cable!period. you might see a engine warning light but who cares,lol..and yes take it to the shop..i havent yet but i put on about 120 miles a day on my b-u-ick..:)
with 2-3000 mile oil changes and some see foam in the gas tank wow that thing flies

Add your comment to this topic!