Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Compressor replacement concerns

BlueCaprice
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Hello all. I just have a couple of questions about an A/C compressor I just replaced on my 3.1L 95 Buick Century. The compressor didn't actually stop working, at least not at first, but it was throwing out metal shavings all over the place. I was wondering what were the chances those shavings would have gotten into the A/C system. I was told that because the A/C system was opened it is also neccesary to replace the accumulator and the orifice tube. The accumulator is no problem, however I have no idea where the orifice tube is. I read somewhere that I could skip changing that part if I must but I would really like to take a look at it and see if it has any of those metal shavings in the screen before I charge the system. Is there is anything else I should be doing before charging the system? Maybe some sort of in-line filter I can add just in case, or a step I have left out? Money is a bit tight right now so I would like to try and go the cheapest route possible, but I don't want to skimp anywhere that might cause there to be an even worse problem down the line. Any info would be very appreciated. Thanx!

GTP Dad
06-15-2005, 06:57 PM
The metal shavings probably came from the clutch which is external of the system therefore it did not put metal into the actual a/c system. Change the orifice tube it is not that expensive and contains a filter to keep crud out of the system. It is located in the accumulator usually on the inlet side. Make sure you dip it in the proper refrigerant oil before reinstalling it and there are a couple of O rings you need to change.

Add your comment to this topic!