Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just a question

002star
06-15-2005, 10:02 AM
This might be a little off topic. When does everybody consider somebody not to be a newbie anymore. I've done models before but this one will be my first on that I will try to paint. Just a question Thanks

SupaMan89T
06-15-2005, 10:15 AM
i say we always learn from mistakes nobody has to be a newbie.

tonioseven
06-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm always learning; when I cease to learn I cease to live.:)

ales
06-15-2005, 11:19 AM
This has little to nothing to do with the number of models you have made.

mike@af
06-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Newbie to models, or newbie to the forum?

For models I'd have to make up my own answer. When the basics are done correctly. Once that accomplishment has been met you can go on to the advance stuff and forever learn from there.

For the forum, I'd say whenever they can follow forum etiquette they are no longer a newbie.

tardster
06-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Opps guess i'm still a noob then huh. LOL...

bhop73
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm going to have to agree with GTmike400's post.

I have been modeling for over 20 years (on and off), but I still learn new things each time and still make mega-mistakes sometimes. I definitely don't consider myself a newbie.. heh.. I've seen some people's that have built 10-15 models and still can't seem to get the basics down (not necessarily car models).

RallyRaider
06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't obsess with labels like "newbie". As those above say, everybody can always learn and improve. I learn new things each time I build a model and from reading this forum all the time! :)

Whumbachumba
06-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I have to say the first option. You can't base someone's level of modeling upon the number of models they've built. We've seen that very recently with some high quality first and second builds. Graduating from the newbie level is when you have learned the basics of painting, glueing, and assembling. From there, the paths are endless and so are the possibilities. I myself have just moved on from newbie because I used to hand paint all my bodies, but then I took up the can and haven't gone back, just waiting for the airbrush.

klutz_100
06-16-2005, 06:01 AM
I'm a newbie now (by convetional definition) but I think I'll always be a newbie because, regardless of how "beautifull" the final result may be, I'm know I'm going to try and do something new - either big or small - in every model I build. Otherwise I suppose that there's a chance that I become a "collector" of different 1/24 plastic cars and that's not why I enjoy my modelling experience so far (and life, too :) )

MPWR
06-16-2005, 07:46 AM
When you're inducted into the Noble and Ancient Order of Non-Newbieness, and we teach you the secret handshake.

Seriously though, why the question? Being a 'newbie' really depends on youself, and who you're comparing yourself to. Sure, if you are building your second kit, and have 17 posts, you're probably a newbie. Otherwise, it's an undefined and highly relative term. What does it mean to you?

Learning from builds has nothing at all to do with newbie/NAONN status. I learn more from superdetailing a kit now than I ever learned from building a kit when I was starting off.

klutz_100
06-16-2005, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=MPWR]When you're inducted into the Noble and Ancient Order of Non-Newbieness, and we teach you the secret handshake.QUOTE]

ROTFL!!!! show me, show me, pleeeease!!!

Vric
06-16-2005, 08:00 AM
D) When you understand how the Search is working :D

mike@af
06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
D) When you understand how the Search is working :D

:rofl: I love that one.

Add your comment to this topic!