120K maintinence

todds21
06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
My 97 rodeo v6 manual tranny has 115K on the clock now and I am wondering if I should get anything done at the 120K mark. I had all the scheduled maintinence done at 60K including timing belt and tensioner, I have not had the water pump replaced. What would you guys recommend for this situation? Getting the full 120K scheduled maintinence done (timing belt, tensioner, water pump, all belts and hoses) maybe just fluids and wait for timing belt failure and then replace it all.........any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on driving this truck many more years as my daily driver.

Thanks,
Todd

Ramblin Fever
06-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm about to round that same cycle again too, as my tensioner is starting to make some noise.

If you had done the water pump at 60K miles, I'd be tempted to tell you to just drive until your tensioner starts to make noise, or the water pump starts to weep - typically 80-100K miles.

But, you've already got 120K on the OEM water pump, so I'd be tempted to change it all out. I changed mine at 60K miles, so I can't speculate how long the original one will last.

I am somewhat paranoid, however, but I too plan to keep mine for a long time yet and knowing they're all aluminum engines makes me play on the cautious side.

Ramblin Fever
06-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Wanted to add, are you going to be doing this yourself?

I called my mechanic yesterday for a quote on the timing belt package/labor, it was a bit higher then I expected - but he also included doing the crankshaft seals since he'll already be in there and I've never had them replaced.

The qoute I got from him was $800, for the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, seals, and labor for 5.5 hrs.

I got 2 qoutes from 2 different dealerships, ranging from $700-800, but that didn't include new crankshaft seals.

Sad part is, is the parts are cheap, the cost is nothing but labor - but I don't have a clue when it comes to the timing belt, and I'm too leary to try on my own.

Let us know what you decide.

FWIW, I too have thought about just letting it go til it breaks, but being my luck, I'll be on a switch-back mountain road!

todds21
06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
I will be taking this to the stealership to get it done. I have gotten quotes for around 800-1000 for all the scheduled maintinence and the timing belt, tensioner and water pump. The only thing that I really can;t decide on is if I should just keep driving it or get it all done preventatively. The timing belts are something that I have always been pretty religious about getting changed.

marcre
06-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Those prices seem fair. I would get it done if money isn't an issue. You know if you wait, it will break on you at the worst possible time. Not that this is related, but in my 13 years of driving I have never had a flat tire. A few weaks ago I took off my spare tire and left it at my parents house. Two days later at my apartment I got up to leave for an appointment and I had a flat. No spare. What luck.

Marc

todds21
06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what the 120K maintinence is? Is it just the 60K repeated at another interval? I can;t find my manual or it listed anywhere online.

amigo-2k
06-15-2005, 03:59 PM
this is for the 98 but it should be the same:

http://www.mjw.com/amigo/tech/maint.htm

marcre
06-15-2005, 04:34 PM
I would bet that the 120k is the same as the 60k. However, when the milage is up that high it is a good idea to ask the mechanic to go over the vehicle. When ever I take my Rodeo in for service I ask my mechanic to keep an eye out for trouble spots, just to give me a heads up to future problems. Every time he tells me it looks real good, but when there is a problem he lets me know, if it is simple I do the work, when it is not, they do it.

Marc

okb
06-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I had 160K on my 3.2L rather than changing the belt and tensioner I found a insurance recovery engine with 49K on it for $1300.00 and paid $750.00 plus about $150.00 for new belts hoses plugs to have it swapped out. Guess what no more ticking either.

rodeo02
06-17-2005, 06:25 AM
....I had all the scheduled maintinence done at 60K including timing belt and tensioner....

Wow! that is WAY early to have those replaced! Was there something that prompted you to change the T-belt & tensioner @ 60K? They are generally good for about 120Kmi+ I'd wait until 150K+ to change them out again, unless your water pump starts to leak before that.
G/luck
Joel

mwt
06-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Wow! that is WAY early to have those replaced! Was there something that prompted you to change the T-belt & tensioner @ 60K?
Joel

The books says to replace it at 60K

Mike

:smokin:

todds21
06-17-2005, 08:04 AM
I had 160K on my 3.2L rather than changing the belt and tensioner I found a insurance recovery engine with 49K on it for $1300.00 and paid $750.00 plus about $150.00 for new belts hoses plugs to have it swapped out. Guess what no more ticking either.

I thought it was scheduled maintinence at the 60K mark. This was before I heard that it was a non interference engine. I still have not made any decisions on just get it all done or wait it out. It is running great with no ticking......knock on wood

rodeo02
06-17-2005, 10:14 AM
The books says to replace it at 60K

Mike

:smokin:

They bumped it up over the years. My 2002 3.2L says 120K between T-belt changeouts for normal service. The T-belt and associated hardware is basically unchanged for 1993-2004 3.2L's. There is so much stuff behind those T-belt covers, it's tough to deside what to change and what to leave alone. Example: Front crank seal, camshaft seals, water pump & gaskets, tensioner pulley, tensioner pushrod, idler & probably more! Super expensive to do it all, but also expensive if you have to tear into it again!?! My take on it, is leave it all alone on the 3.2/3.5 until something starts acting up :uhoh: .
G/luck
Joel

dea2650
07-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I have 195,000 on my 1995.5 Rodeo will all oem equip (timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc). Everything runs great, no engine ticking or anything. Yesterday (07/05/05) I noticed a slapping sound coming from the right side of the engine. So I took off the belt covers, ran the engine and sure enough the slapping sound was coming from the timing belt and pulley. I just called my mechanic for a quote and he said $800- 850 too replace timing belt, tensioner pulley, water pump+gaskets, and front crank seal. Which isn't too bad to swallow being that it shouldn't have lasted half as long.

johnsm
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Just a few points for clarity. Are we talking 120 000 Kilometers or miles?
Second, has the timing beltl been improved or has it been the same quality since 1993? Can I buy a timing belt that will last longer than the original?

John

Add your comment to this topic!