Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Century Brake Service & Bleeding - Pedal Sqooshy

jasonalden
06-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I changed the front brake hoses, calipers, rotors, & pads last night (hands are still dirty, lol).

I bled the front calipers until no more air bubbles were seen. All joints are tight and there are no leaks.

Problem:
The brake pedal is sqooshier than normal. It is acting like there is air in the line or a leak.

Car stops straight, but I had a difficult time getting the front tires to lock up. In fact, was only able to get the LF tire to lock once during my braking tests.

Do I need to bleed rear cylinders also since I changed the front calipers? I thought front and rear were on separate "circuits", this is why I did not bleed the rear cylinders.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Jason

GTP Dad
06-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Rebleed the brakes. Based on your description there is still air in the system. You will have some seating time for the brake pads to seat to the rotors but the pedal should be firm. You are correct about the two systems being seperate and you won't need to do anything with the rear brakes.

tri-power
06-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Thats assuming you didn't run the cylinder dry. It's still a smart idea to check and see that the rear cylinders aren't wet.

Add your comment to this topic!