Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 jimmy overhead console install. Also have a bunch of consoles

maddog245
06-13-2005, 11:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone has the instructions for the overhead console install for a 1996 gmc jimmy. I got the console out of a 99 and was wondering if anyone knew if it will plug in my harness. I know I have to run a line fro the temp sensor I just wonderd about the harness itself. Being if I remove mine will it plug right in??

Thanks
Maddog

maddog245
06-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Well I pulled my dash and what did I find but that I have only three wires white,orange and black in the connector to my harness and the donor does not look anything like it. Guess maybe I should just find one out of a 96 jimmy donor. I don't know help me out here!. I can get all kinds of them but which one should I get? I have a mode one right now that came out of a 99 blazer.

rlith
06-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Do a search for overhead console, you will fine the diagram. You truck doesn't have the harness for it so you will have to make one.

maddog245
06-14-2005, 06:20 AM
thats just great! I have not a clue where to find it I been looking for it. As far as making a harness I wish I had never started this project I have not a clue lol.
Maddog

rlith
06-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Took me less than 10 seconds to find the diagram

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=414215&page=1&highlight=overhead+console

maddog245
06-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Yes I have seen this one and the one frome the s-10 fourms that tells how to hook up the temp sensor. I have the mode computer. So Can I leave my harness in now that I have and just run other wires to the appropriate hookups?
Maddog

rlith
06-14-2005, 07:04 AM
The diagram that is in that thread is for the mode computer

maddog245
06-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Ok took the harness apart and I see that I have two orange one for overhead dome light which I should be able to use the line up there for that and the other for constant power. I have a black one and a white one already there so I should be able to tie all three grounds in. Now the yellow says it goes to the serial computer. Where is that and what does it tie into?. Also I am not sure if I need to hook up the gray wire. And I do not need them to dim so I wont have to do the purple /white.

maddog245
06-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Well Gents came along way today. All you have to do is take the the three wires that go to radio PPL/WHITE DRK/green and GRAY and tie them into radio. via http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162482.
I taped and ran the wires to radio and the other three down the other side. YELLOW/ SERIAL SIGNAL. cut out the final assembly for the console itself then wired the dome lite(for when the door opens) the orange wires will provide you with power (constant from sunvisors). Yellow is serial data signal
Orange is +12V always on battery
Dk green +12V switched (ignition)

Add your comment to this topic!