Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

BOV questions.............again

apostrophe28
06-12-2005, 08:36 PM
okay, ive heard the whole deal that BOVs will make the engine run rich when you shift or back off the throttle because of the whole MAF thing, but will running rich everytime you shift cause any damage to the engine? i have a z32 tt and my stock recirc valves are leaking and im considering buyin some Turbo X RFLs, or should i go to nissan and order a new pair of stock recircs?....also what are your favorite kinds of BOVs, all i really know of are HKS and the Turbo X's.........

zfetsh
06-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Don't entirely loose hope! Some very good brands make recirc kits for their BOV's or dedicated recircs (I think you can even get recirc kits for the HKS SSQV, but don't quote me on that!)

DeleriousZ
06-12-2005, 09:23 PM
yes, it will cause you to run rich for a bit, yes it will, in the long run, cause the slightest bit of damage to the engine (we're talking maybe an extra half mm of carbon build up or something, nothing worth really worrying about) and yes turbox's RFL's are freaking sweet, as are the hks super-sequential bov (ssqv) are awesome too... a lot of people seem to look over the TiAL stuff, and i'm not too sure why, they make some very high quality products (mostly wastegates but their bov's are nice too)

stock recirc's from nissan($$$$$$$) will most likely having you rather taking a broomstick to the ass, so it would be better to go for some aftermarket ones instead... or just make your own out of some cheap bov's and some hose..

DeleriousZ
06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Don't entirely loose hope! Some very good brands make recirc kits for their BOV's or dedicated recircs (I think you can even get recirc kits for the HKS SSQV, but don't quote me on that!)
yep you sure can... and u know what it consists of? a round hollow piece of metal and a strip of hose... for $35 or something like that...

k3smostwanted
06-12-2005, 09:26 PM

yes you are right...

the bigger aftermarket companies do carry recircs, usually...

if you dont like the noise, buy recircs...if you dont mind the noise or like the noise, buy open atmosphere BOV's.

the whole running rich thing is overrated...there are too many people out their running atmospheric BOV's without a gliche. the turbo x's are expecially popular for the Z32 do to them being extremely loud (especially when boost i past 12) and because of price and availibility

i would get aftermarket units especially if your are modified and i think you said you were. if the stock unit failed once they probably will again.

zfetsh
06-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Go Fast Bits - Plumb Back and Hybrid
http://www.gofastbits.com.au/images/product_images/plumb_back_feature.jpg http://www.gofastbits.com.au/images/product_images/hybrid_feature.jpg
http://www.gofastbits.com.au/index.php

Know doubt there are similar products world wide!

stephenp
06-13-2005, 11:26 AM
anybody here ever consider making there own?
im going to attemp to make one that will use the same ball spring type of valve as the diy boost regulator
and im going to make it so that it wirls as low as i can so it wooooooshes out instead of wistles so it aught to sound a little quiter so no onme will know also itll be in a 2+2 so if they have a clue theyll think its in the bag then bam
lol
2+2 na pistons turbo intercooled probably gonna be a vg30t with the turbo, cams, ecu, and inj.

stephenp
06-13-2005, 11:32 AM
sorry vg30e + turbo, cams, intercooler, oil cooler, ecu, coil, exhaust, intake, manual boost comtroller, bov, many gauges ooooh, race bucket seats, removed ac, electric fan, alluminum radiator, and to top it off it going in the 79 280zx 2+2

DeleriousZ
06-13-2005, 07:18 PM
dude, tell us what you have going on the car once, in one thread, if we really need to look it up we'll know where to look.

recircs do make some noise i've heard, not most stock ones but i've heard some aftermarket ones on sti's that still make a slight sneezing sound, haven't heard or seen any z32's with aftermarket ones so i'm not sure if it would or not.... i think if it was me i would go with atmospheric bov's, just to scare the pants off any punk who so happens to think his stock elantra is fast :sunglasses:

k3smostwanted
06-13-2005, 08:52 PM
i think if it was me i would go with atmospheric bov's, just to scare the pants off any punk who so happens to think his stock elantra is fast :sunglasses:

my point exactly!!! :D

Broke_as_****
06-13-2005, 09:07 PM
i think if it was me i would go with atmospheric bov's, just to scare the pants off any punk who so happens to think his stock elantra is fast :sunglasses:

Pfft. The wake of air coming off my Z at 200mph will blow his body kit off.

k3smostwanted
06-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Pfft. The wake of air coming off my Z at 200mph will blow his body kit off.

:lol: very true...

DeleriousZ
06-13-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah, but how often are you going to be driving through the city at 200mph lol.... not very long if you try it i can assure you that :p

Broke_as_****
06-13-2005, 11:52 PM
yeah, but how often are you going to be driving through the city at 200mph lol.... not very long if you try it i can assure you that :p

Who says I would be driving?

*Starts duct taping rear wing back on upside down*

datsunscom
06-14-2005, 12:30 AM
-snip-i have a z32 tt and my stock recirc valves are leaking and im considering buyin some Turbo X RFLs, or should i go to nissan and order a new pair of stock recircs?....also what are your favorite kinds of BOVs, all i really know of are HKS and the Turbo X's.........

You can find OEM recircs on E-bay cheap. BOV's are mostly for guys who need other people to know they have a turbo. I say let 'em read your "TwinTurbo" badge above your taillights if they really need to know. Having said that, the momentary rich condition is really a non-issue as stated elsewhere. I know guys that run BOV's that are plumbed back into the system (yes, making them recircs) and they are still noisy. I must be old school, because the sneeze sound is just silly.

DeleriousZ
06-14-2005, 12:53 AM
i think the sound is just personal preference and i don't think it's really anyone's place to call it silly or not... i'd rather see people saying they think it's silly ;) and as for k3... he didn't start with that tt badge ;)
it'd be interesting to see how tough it'd be to turn the bov's into recircs, and if there was a way you could do it so you could switch between open atmosphere bov and recirced bov with a switch activated solenoid... i know it sounds kind of silly, but it'd be a fun sunday project or something to curb the everyday boredom.

btw, you have to tell me more about your 510 with the vg in it.... looks like it could be one seriously mean machine...

OH, and welcome to the past z car forum :)

k3smostwanted
06-14-2005, 09:57 AM
btw, you have to tell me more about your 510 with the vg in it.... looks like it could be one seriously mean machine...

i was thinking the same thing...that thing looks bad ass...tell me more and give me some more pics. im beggin of you. :lol:

and as for BOV's, it would be pretty cool to switch back and forth between open and closed atmosphere because sometimes you just want to drive on the road without being bothered or looked at. then sometimes you want to really grab peoples attention...like on the beach for example. there is only a few people in the world that can actually say they wouldnt want to grab the attention of everyone sitting on the beach. grabbing attention usually ends up with a few phone numbers or dates, if ya know what i mean.

anyways, i wish i could switch back and forth but i dont want to figure it out so ill just stick with open-atmospheres.

datsunscom
06-14-2005, 05:52 PM
and as for BOV's, it would be pretty cool to switch back and forth between open and closed atmosphere because sometimes you just want to drive on the road without being bothered or looked at. then sometimes you want to really grab peoples attention...

There's something I hadn't thought about - going between BOV and recirc mode! For the TT it'd take two addititonal valves, plumb it between the recirc and the intake and have it vent for BOV or have it closed for recirc. Shoot you chould even dyno "through the gears" and see what the true performance effects are. Brilliant! Dunno if the Z32's have enough room for even those extra little pieces though.

As for my 510 thanks for the compliments. I won't clutter the forum with the details but everything you'd want to know can be found by following these links
The car : http://www.datsuns.com/red/
What it used to be : http://www.datsuns.com/cars/pl510/red_NA.htm
And the transformation:
http://www.datsuns.com/projects/fv-s/fvs_page3.htm

Basically I drive it to work and startle the random <name a hotrod here> if they get too racy or if I'm feeling obnoxious and traffic allows:-).

k3smostwanted
06-14-2005, 06:00 PM
There's something I hadn't thought about - going between BOV and recirc mode! For the TT it'd take two addititonal valves, plumb it between the recirc and the intake and have it vent for BOV or have it closed for recirc. Shoot you chould even dyno "through the gears" and see what the true performance effects are. Brilliant! Dunno if the Z32's have enough room for even those extra little pieces though.

As for my 510 thanks for the compliments. I won't clutter the forum with the details but everything you'd want to know can be found by following these links
The car : http://www.datsuns.com/red/
What it used to be : http://www.datsuns.com/cars/pl510/red_NA.htm
And the transformation:
http://www.datsuns.com/projects/fv-s/fvs_page3.htm

Basically I drive it to work and startle the random <name a hotrod here> if they get too racy or if I'm feeling obnoxious and traffic allows:-).

i love it dude...pure insanity. stick around here...we could use a good engineering mind. :D

as for the room in the TT, im sure someone could find room but it would not be easy.

DeleriousZ
06-14-2005, 07:32 PM
man that is nUts!!props on the freaking crazy sleeper.. i'd love to see the look on people's faces as they get blown away by some old red datsun 510:smokin:

yeah we'd love for you to stick around, it's always nice to have another knowledgeable gearhead around to help out and chat with.

btw, that's my idea, if you steal it and patent it, i want royalties :p

Add your comment to this topic!