Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need's Guidance, Totally Lost

IcebergMan
06-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi,

My other thread kind of died so I thought I might start a new one because that thread had the wrong title anyways. So, I'm looking for a car that:

- Get's good gas mileage (Daily driver)
- Can be had for around $5K
- Can be made to run 13's reliably with around $1-3K
- Is pretty reliable

So, what do you guys recommend for me? I have no idea what to get as I'm pretty new to cars so please bear with me. I've looked at the Infiniti G20, Nissan Sentra (200SX SE-R, They're the same car right?), Cavalier Z24, and some other Honda's. What do you recommend for me?

I'm super sorry for all of the questions guys.

Thank you.

CivRacer95
06-12-2005, 07:25 PM
92-95 Civic Hatch (either VX or DX) can be found for less than 1K. H22 Swap (tranny, motor mounts, everything included) 3K, I/H/E and cams appx: $1200, also depending if you buy the parts new or used, the price can vary. You should be looking at mid to high 13's for around $5K.

IcebergMan
06-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Okay, thanks. I forgot to add, the $5K is for the car and the upgrades will come eventually. So it's not $5K including the car and upgrades. Thank you and keep them coming.

Mr. Luos
06-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Find the cheapest, lightest car you can. Spend no more than $750.
Mod the hell outta it.
Go fast.

xXxRocker5150
06-12-2005, 10:04 PM
1st gen DSM's can be had for pretty cheap and can be made fast for pretty cheap.

-The Stig-
06-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Lt1 Camaro/Trans Am.

They run a low 14 high 13 factory, so figure with 1-3k into it. They'll run mid 13s easy, depending whats done.

And if you keep your foot outta it, it'll get good milege... fairly good.:p

EDIT: 5.0 Mustang, same story as above.

IcebergMan
06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I thought Fox Body Mustangs only got were like in the teens for MPG? I'll check out the LT1 Camaro/Trans Am. Thanks

Edit: Don't know how accurate fueleconomy.gov is but they said that the LT1 Camaro and Trans Am go around 18 MPG too. I was hoping something with at least 20+. One more thing, I would also like the car that I get to run on Regular Unleaded. Yes, I am quite cheap...

drftk1d
06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
CRX.

that fits the description perfectly.
you want gas mileage, you buy a slow import.

with potential to go fast.

JekylandHyde
06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Turbo MR2 :)

IcebergMan
06-13-2005, 12:06 PM
I would get a MR2 Turbo but I don't want to die young. :) I've just heard of so many spin outs and accidents with the MR2 that I'm so nervous to get one. Also, since the engine is in the middle I heard that unless you work on it yourself (I'm not very car savy) that it's expensive to fix. Do you think that i've just heard wrong?

I was looking at the CRX but when I asked in the Honda forums they said to get it to run 13's RELIABLY I would probably have to spend around $5K. How much do you think I would have to spend to get it to run 13's?

Thank you! Keep the replies coming!

clawhammer
06-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Well, the H22 will fit in the Crx as well. Plus it's lighter than a hatch.

pre98zetec
06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
dodge omni glhs!

CassiesMan
06-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I would also like the car that I get to run on Regular Unleaded. Yes, I am quite cheap...

You keep killing yourself on ability to get this car to go fast. When you start looking at high HP cars, or cars that can go real fast, you need to start looking at higher octane gas. Not only will it increase the performance of your car (not by a whole hellofalot, but its still there), but it will also help your motor last longer and keep up reliability. Where is highgrade where you live? Here in the FDub, I can get high for about 2.15 a gallon somtimes less, depending on where I go.

IcebergMan
06-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, is 14's really that high performance? Anyways, I have to pay for gas and a car and a kid that's in school with a minimum wage job at the moment, it's kind of hard.

Edit: Buying premium is no longer an issue...

drftk1d
06-13-2005, 08:42 PM
here's a great ride for you (http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/Pilot/Index.php)

IcebergMan
06-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Oh yes, a bike. I actually ride my bike to school 3 out of the 5 days a week but you know, it's kind of hard to keep up with my friends Ford F150 Lightning. :)

Man you guys are probably really going to hate me now but I may as well get it out. When I really sat down to think about it, when I'm just messing around with my friends were usually not going to exceed 70 MPH (80 MPH would probably be tops) so I don't know if I'm really looking for the right car.

Well, I guess I'll try to really some up what I want. I would like a car that has fairly fast acceleration for those short sprints (I doubt we would really do anything longer than 1/4 mile at high speeds, probably less.) and that gets good gas mileage. Now that I think of it I probably would not need a 13 second car for a while as I'm not a super serious racer. This is probably any better than my situation before this but I would like a car that: get's good gas mileage, reliable, and is fairly quick off the start (Nothing to write home about). I would probably eventually upgrade it but for a good amount of time it would probably be stock. If I did anything to it, it would probably just be a new exhaust.

So, after getting that out of the way, do you think that would make my decision easier? I'm thinking about getting the Mazda Miata, yeah I know, it's a chick car or whatever but it seems like it might fit the bill. It gets roughly 24 MPG, the earlier models can be had for pretty cheap, RWD (Thought this might please you Drift), it handles nice, and I'm assuming for how small it is it's pretty quick off the start (Just an assumption here). So, what do you guys think? Any things jump to mind?

I'm really sorry for not making my mind up about what I want before I post so I am truly sorry.

Thank you.

uranium235powered
06-13-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm nearly 17, and I will need a car pretty soon, once my mom lets me start my driving lessons....hahaha

My only problem is that I'm thinking my parents would disappove the fact that I want a two seater.....because it is not practical. Mommy and daddy will most likely buy me the car, but they want me to drive them around the city (Both my parents aren't big fans of cars or driving)

I know my budget is $10K-ish....including mods, if any. $15K if it is off the showroom floor. I prefer older cars though, because they have much more aftermarket, and that it is much less seen on the road. Cars which I have taken into consideration are the following...
90 - 97 Mazda Miata 90 - 95 Toyota MR2 89 - 94 Nissan 240SX 90 - 96 Nissan 300ZX 2+2 89 - 98 Nissan 180SX...imported from Japan, most 240SX's here are in bad condition 86.5 - 91 Toyota Supra Turbo 97 - 01 Subaru ImprezaI'm know more about the Japanese cars because I've been with them all my life. In fact, I don't even know a thing about a Ford Mustang. (Mustangs were created by Ford, right? Or was it Chevrolet? :icon16:...I have no clue)

I don't get why people think that the Miata is a girly car....I just don't. I love the styling of the whole car, but one thing that bugs me is the popup huge headlights. On the other hand, the 2000 to 2005 Toyota Celicas are girly cars....for sure. I doubt my parents will let me get a Miata or an MR2, as both are two seaters and is not practical for everyday useage. Insurance would be a killer too, both my parents have stopped driving for at the very least 8 years. However, if I manage to persuade my parents to get a Scion xB as a daily driver........hehehe, the Miata will be a weekend car.

EDIT: I went completely off topic, sorry about that. If you are allowed to manage to find a Mazda Miata, I urge you to buy it. If you find yourself needing more power later on, you can always turbocharge it, or even swap in 13B's (Wankel Rotary) or V8's into the engine bay.

lamehonda
06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
For your first go you have to buy something slow until you develop a feel for the limit. If you strap yourself into a fast car before you have developed good judgement, you will probably crash. Then you will end up having to buy a slow/cheap car anyway.

IcebergMan
06-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Uranium - Those are some nice cars although I don't want most of those for a few reasons.

MR2 - Not a very good first car. I have just heard of so many spin outs and accidents I wouldn't drive one of these if someone gave one to me.

240SX - Would get one but I've heard that it doesn't have super good gas mileage which is big for me.

300ZX - The aftermarket for these cars are so expensive that I would rather get a 240SX and just mod that. If I had a bigger budget though I would get a 300ZX though, very nice cars.

Supra - I too like the MA70's but there gas mileage is very good and I've heard that it can be problematic. Nice car though and can be made super fast.

Impreza - I doubt I'd be able to afford one.

Nice little choice of cars though you got there. Good luck with your decision!

youngvr4
06-14-2005, 12:59 AM
Well, is 14's really that high performance?

mustang gt
subaru wrx
S2000
mr2 turbo
infinti G35
mazda RX-8

those are all 14 second cars

tha_new_guy
06-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Uranium - Those are some nice cars although I don't want most of those for a few reasons.

MR2 - Not a very good first car. I have just heard of so many spin outs and accidents I wouldn't drive one of these if someone gave one to me
Well Your profile says you live in Tulare, California. Unless Tulare is located near Lake Tahoe or something, I don't think you will get nasty weather in your town. I would think that there are 3 causes for the supposed abundance of MR2 spinouts. 1) The driver didn't know the limit of his driving abilities and got in over his head or 2) The driver didn't know the road or the obstacles that lay ahead and got in over his head. Dive competently, and that shouldn't be an issue. MR2 spinouts are "abundant" simply because they are the most popular midengined vehicle around. Then again, if this is your 1st car, its up to you. you know your limits.

for 5K, you want a "quick" reliable car? I'd have to agree with the CRX idea then.

tha_new_guy
06-14-2005, 01:10 AM
mustang gt
subaru wrx
S2000
mr2 turbo
infinti G35
mazda RX-8

those are all 14 second cars
The mustang gt is the only one he can get for around 5 grand.

IcebergMan
06-14-2005, 02:48 PM
What do you guys think of the Miata? I think I'll probably get the Miata, CRX, or G20...

Edit: Could someone name a 2-Door Coupe that gets good gas mileage and can be had for $5K? Performance isn't an issue..

Edit: Sorry, I know that's a really vague question so is their a place that I can just gather information on different types of cars (In this case, coupes in particular)? I've tried kbb.com and vehix.com but they only really give you more recent cars and I would like to know all of the cars available to me. Thank you.

tha_new_guy
06-14-2005, 04:55 PM
What do you guys think of the Miata? I think I'll probably get the Miata, CRX, or G20...

Edit: Could someone name a 2-Door Coupe that gets good gas mileage and can be had for $5K? Performance isn't an issue...
Last gen. Acura Integra.(94-99)

Or just get a Honda and be done with it.

uranium235powered
06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Last gen. Acura Integra.(94-99)

Or just get a Honda and be done with it.

Honduh Powah! If you don't mind a car being old, get a $1000 CRX with a blown engine (I think this is rare though.....honda reliability is so high) and throw in a B series engine like a B16 or B18 for $3500 to $4000. I'm not exactly too sure on these prices, I'm only guessing. Ask CivRacer or kris.....Dunno about H22's either, but B series engines are pretty common in Civics and CRX's.

Reliability for Honda's are pretty good....they last 200,000+ km. So by the time the car falls apart, you will probably have saved up enough to buy another toy for yourself.

If not, Miata all the way! I personally love the look of the Miatas.

IcebergMan
06-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to get a CRX, Del Sol, Integra, or a Miata. Still trying to decide though. I like the look of the Del Sol the best but I know the CRX is probably the most practical...

CassiesMan
06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Just my two cents, but I really question the whole "Honda Reliability" claims. They are only reliable if you take care of them. I mean, with proper treatement, any motor can take you up to 100k plus miles, and I only know of one Honda motor with the mythical 150K plus miles on it, and the guy who owns it has it in the shop at least once a month getting something else fixed.

drftk1d
06-16-2005, 02:11 PM
think: if you start with a so-called hard to handle car like a MR2 (of if its more your style, the fiero), think of what you can drive afterwards?

Add your comment to this topic!