Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What can my 04 d/b TRD Taco really tow?

vdubspeed
06-12-2005, 01:20 PM
When I bought my 04 Tacoma I was immediately pulling cars on tow dollies around town and to the track. Pulling 3K lbs was no problem.

Now I'm thinking about buying a car trailer that is 7X16 feet. It's flat and seems about as light weight as a car trailer can be.

One of the axles does have brakes and I will get the 7pin connector added to my truck.

I'd like to know if I'd be okay pulling a trailer with 2K to 2.5K lb cars(VW beetles and rabbits). So I will definitely be pulling up to 4K lbs. My book says that I can tow 6K with a towing package but my class 3 is only good for 5K.

So am I safe or should I upgrade some parts of the truck. I DO NOT want a bigger truck though as this is my wifes daily driver.

The trailer looks like this...
http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/3d/be/1c_1_b.JPG

Thanks,

Jason

Flash75
06-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Jason, The 2004 Tacoma brochure I'm looking at says the maximum towing weight is 5k with the Xtracab or Double cab V-6's. If you have a V-6 you should be ok unless you are going to be using the truck on steep grades for long distances. Unless you have a special need for the full flat bed an open center trailer will weigh a little less. If you have a trailer builder near by and all you plan to tow is VW's you can have a 14 ft. trailer built and cut down the weight a little more. If you have an automatic transmission and do not have an oil cooler it would be a good idea to install one.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!