Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

paint question

stang351
06-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm doing a Pontiac Firebird, and I am painting the engine Pontiac Engine Blue(the paint is from model master). The paint is very thin, with a watery consitency. I can see the color underneath it, which is just white. It's a lacquer based paint, so how do i thicken it? Do i just let it sit open? Or should i put another blue under it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, im new to modeling. Thanks

JTRACING
06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm doing a Pontiac Firebird, and I am painting the engine Pontiac Engine Blue(the paint is from model master). The paint is very thin, with a watery consitency. I can see the color underneath it, which is just white. It's a lacquer based paint, so how do i thicken it? Do i just let it sit open? Or should i put another blue under it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, im new to modeling. Thanks

that is the paint in the jar no? if so its enamel, i would say just mix it better and apply another coat.

klutz_100
06-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't know the colour or if you are usiing acrylic or enamal or...?
but a) if your are seeing white under it does that mean you didn'\t use a primer? if not you maybe should b) did you stir teh paint THOROUGHLY before starting? c) appply paint in several thin coats to build up the colour without drowning the detail - paint rarely covers in one coat and let it dry between coats,

my 2 cents HTH

also if you spend some time surfing the FAQ section you will find lots of useful info on manyt aspects of painting

lilbudman
06-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I've had this problem before with the testors, I'll usually put a black base coat on, then the black just shows though and it gives it a "dirty" engine look. I'm sure there is better ways but thats what works for me.

stang351
06-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks, i did some searching, but nothing thorough. I will use a primer on it, im new to all this, and i dont prime everything. Thanks for the advice! I might use a primer, then put a blue under that, and then the engine color...

white97ex
06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
is it the model master acrylic or is it the enamel? if it has a watery consitency it is either a. acrylic or b. needs to be mixed better. i prime everything...unless it is going to be black. are you airbrushing or are you brush painting? if it is air brush. just keep layering it on. it will eventually reach an opaque state. as airbrushing doesn't add as much paint as brushing it on, you wont lose a lot of the detail. if you are brushing it on. give it another coat or two and you should be ok. if you are in the states. go to wal mart and invest in some color place paints. they've got equipment gray primer, flat black, and gloss black. these will come in VERY handy. as spray painting is much more convenient and gives a better look than brush painting large objects. also their silver/aluminum gives a very convincing representation of aluminum paint. it is really shiny though. if you hit it with some clear coat is tends to dull a little. i hope some of this helps

stang351
06-12-2005, 04:46 PM
I am just brush painting. I found it just took more layers, i was just painting an engine. I'm primering more parts now. Thanks again for the help

Add your comment to this topic!