Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Voltage and Door Problems

Neo851
06-12-2005, 11:45 AM
1990 S15 4.3 Jimmy

1) When I first start it, the voltage meter will ready just shy of 14 volts - it will stay like that till the truck is warmed up - then it kicks down to what I'm estimating is around 12.. My first question is is there anything wrong or is that normal (if its normal I've never seen it before on any of my other vehicles.) The alternator is supposed to be a relatively new one (was on the list of new items when I bought it from the previous owner), the accessory belt is brand new and the battery is brand new. My old battery had the same problem but it would dip as low as 9 or 10 volts and eventually left me stranded in a parking lot.. thought the new battery would solve this problem but I guess not!

2) My drivers side door sticks. The handle "works" in that you have to be pulling it to open the door, but you really have to give it a good ramming with your shoulder for it to open.. Obviously somethings screwed up inside - I was more curious as to how hard it is to take apart (and more importantly, but back together) the door.

3) Related to two, my passengers side window gets stuck about 3/4 the way down - is there a track or something that its supposed to sit in that I can just reseat or am I screwed?

Thanks
Ben

danpaz_uy
07-26-2005, 07:47 PM
your alternator, should be around 14.0 or 14.5 always, so i think you are going to have problems soon, maybe the voltage regulator, good luck

BlazerLT
07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Check the voltage at the battery, don't trust the gauge much, it isn't very accurate.

Should be 12.6+ when engine is off.

Should be 14.2+ with the engine running.

Add your comment to this topic!