S-10 Rear Axle

joblo33
06-11-2005, 10:08 PM
1993 S10 2wd 5spd 2.5L
My rear diff has a lot of slop causing the truck to drive like it has a loose U-joint, and I was going to open up the diff and find out why but my friend just put Toyota axles under his truck and offered me his old rear axle instead to just swap in. My question is will an axle from a 1987 4x4 S-10 (4.3, auto trans) work on my truck?
Thanks,
Eric

OverBoardProject
06-11-2005, 11:02 PM
No, they're longer.
Or so I'm told.

If the 4x4 has a posi unit do use that while your doing the work. It probably doesn't and it isn't even worth while looking unless it was a fully loaded truck

joblo33
06-12-2005, 01:24 AM
By fully loaded do you mean all the bells and whistles? His truck has lots of things to make me jealous like A/C, power locks and power windows. I've never worked on anything newer than my '71 Land Rover so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. What does posi look like? Is it something in the diff?
His truck doesn't look wider than mine, how much longer would the axle be? Probably just long enough to screw up mounting eh? If I can't use his axle should I go look for a cheap Toyota axle? I've heard they're stronger.
Thanks,
Eric

OverBoardProject
06-12-2005, 02:05 AM
If his truck has all the bells and whistles then it might have a posi.

Taking off the differential plate you'll see a cone with a big gear mounted on.
If it's posi it'll have a hole in that cone, and some springs in there.
I've only seen 1 so that's the best description that I can give you.
My Blazer has 1 and I want to change the oil in it, but until my former boss actually pays me the oil change won't happen. When the pay comes I'll take a pic of the open diff.

A 4x4 has the same body, it's just the differential that is a little wider.
I don't know why Chev did this, and it seems silly to me.
I'm told that 4x4 wheels won't fit on a 2wd because of this.

The toyota rear end is basicly a mini ford 9".
They are overbuilt, so it's a much better choice than the Chevy.
Although with your 4 cylinder your Chevy rear end should have never worn out.
If you re-build the stock rear end and keep it maintaned it should last the life of the truck

Add your comment to this topic!