Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

VTEC problems?

whitGSR07
06-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok so I have a 2000 GS-R with just a few bolt ons. It has almost 60,000 miles on it now. My engine is making a weird kind of clicking noise when entering vtec. Now I know there is an audible sound when vtec engages but this is like it's clicking in and out, like it can't stay in vtec. Sometimes it clicks over fine and then around 7000 rpm it makes this loud kinda burst sound and it's not the secondaries opening. Not like something is breaking but just like a noticable sound. Im beginning to think this may be due to my oil pressure. Im currently using 5w30 synthetic. When I check my oil right after I turn my car off it's all over the dip stick. When I wipe it off and put it back in and take it out it has NONE on it. Last oil change was around 1,000 miles ago. No oil light is comming on or anything and the car is still running smooth and quiet except when vtec engages. Now my question is...1. Is this an oil pressure problem or lack of enough oil? 2. Should I switch to a thicker oil (10w30) now that my car is nearing 60,000 miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

spaminator
06-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I've always ran 10w30 but other than that ask your mechanic.

teg94
06-12-2005, 10:02 PM
VTEC wouldn't "kick" hard when i was low on oil ... maybe just change it to be safe.

alay9
07-04-2005, 12:39 AM
the valves on vtec can be adjusted, they need to be adjusted every so ofter, when i first got my car they were fixing an oil leak and while they were in there they offered to adjust the valves for me for a very low cost. So I said yes, that could be your problem. My first question would be how long have you had the car and also did you every have the vavles adjusted?

xblastxb16
07-09-2005, 03:07 AM
the clicking is most likely a valve adjustment issue and your oil is being over consumed but make sure when you get your oil changed they change the oil filter every time.

Tano016
07-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my 2001 gsr 2 weeks ago. Vtec either wouldn't kick in or it was delayed and it made that clicking. my car was very low on oil it lost about 2 litres! I added 2 litres to top off the dipstick and it worked perfectly. BTW, as soon as you turn off your car, 1 litre of oil is still in the engine so that it's normal that your dipstick is dray. When you check your oil your engine should be perfectly cold and on a leveled surface.

MODIFIED_GSR
07-14-2005, 09:15 PM
buddy v tec requires oil pressure no oil no pressure and how hard do push the goodie? any smog from the exhaust?

Add your comment to this topic!