Burning Oil like there's no tomorrow

Jovian9
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
'99 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4WD 69K

Recently my check engine light came on and I had it read. It was P0401 I believe.....my system is running too lean. It turns out that my EGR valve needs replaced. While looking into this the mechanic noted that I have almost no oil. I just had my oil changed 1 1/2 months ago and have only driven the car around 1500 miles since that oil change. Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause such quick consumption of oil? Any suggestions on how to prevent this?
I'm still under my used car warranty until I reach 100k so if this is a defect it will hopefully be covered. I am constantly just having one problem after another on this vehicle (read my past threads to see what I've fixed/had fixed in the last year). Thanks!

rodeo02
06-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Never heard of this :disappoin :evillol: (just kidding)!! actually, there's gotta be thousand posts on oil burning, oil consumption & egr issues on the 1998+ 3.2/3.5L. Have a look around. I'd do a overnight cylinder soak (or two) with seafoam on your rig.
G/luck
Joel

Canucklehead
06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
While looking into this the mechanic noted that I have almost no oil. I just had my oil changed 1 1/2 months ago and have only driven the car around 1500 miles since that oil change. Does anyone have any ideas on what may cause such quick consumption of oil? Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

I would say that you were very lucky that your EGR valve caused you to have to go to a mechanic and I would thank him for saving you from having to buy a new engine.

As for your high consumption read the FAQ (http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq4) #4 and you will find that a faulty/clogged EGR system is notorious for causing high oil consumption in second gen. Rodeos.

:2cents:

amigo-2k
06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Watch the oil like a hawk now.

and on that note I'm going to go check my own oil since it has been 1000 miles since I've checked .....

Jovian9
06-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I've had the oil replenished (plus bought a lot of oil to keep with me to fill it up)......and it's going to Isuzu Monday morning. I'll post back with more info when I have some.

df2000
06-10-2005, 09:09 PM
just another idea...
pr99trooper [] posted this:
"I had the same oil consumption problem, 600 miles per quart as you have, and had my dealer start an oil consumption test while my Trooper was still under warranty. Part of the test involved "decarbing" the motor which only increased the oil consumption. After having the motor stripped apart, the real problem was uncovered. I like many other Isuzu owners have motors with cylinders that are oversized, with undersized pistons and rings. This is the common occurance among the Troopers with high oil consumption problems. Isuzu knows this, and the dealers know it too, and have admitted it. Their hope is that people procrastinate till it is too late, ie out of warranty, so that they will be off the hook to fix it ( at their cost). This problem cannot be fixed by changing the rings with standard size rings, but with changing the short block with a motor that has been assembled with parts that meet the correct specifications. I have had this done and now it appears that the oil consumption has been solved. This process had taken a little more than a year to complete, ( oil test and decision by Isuzu to fix it) but the results are that I have a normal vehicle again and it is no longer the "oil consumption" project it once was.

In hindsight, it's funny ( in a sick kind of way) that the advice that my dealer's service adviser gave me when I innitially complained about the oil consumption over three years was, "trade the vehicle off to solve the problem" and taked about others that have. Now knowing that he meant, trade it in so that someone else can buy it not knowing the oil consumption problem, run it out of oil on the highway and blow the motor as so many have. Results being more business for Isuzu, and less warranty expense.

With that said, I don't think the $100.00 service is going to do it. If you have any warranty left, start the oil consumption test! If you start it before your warranty is up, you are covered till it is solved. When they finnally fixed my Trooper, I was both over the time and mileage of the warranty, but because this complaint was registered before, it was covered. Like you, I'm the second owner.

Good luck, and don't take no for an answer."
the rest is here http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=407503

phil73
06-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I also had oil consumption problem, it took 2 years but they finally open the motor, drilled 4 new holes on the pistons and then my oil consumption past from one quart per 1000 miles to nothing....

Phil

Add your comment to this topic!