Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Get oil fillter out???

RandyFrasman
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
2001 Alero 3.4, I had no problem locating the oil filter and getting it off but I couldn't get it out? I have it unscrewed and removed but there is no way to get it out. It is blocked on the bottom and there are stiff hoses / fans on the top. How in the world do I get this evil filter out, it shouldn't be this difficult????

Ridenour
06-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the forum. For your angle of approach, you have to be essentially directly below it. Wear a face shield to protect yourself - I think you need to be right below the filter. You might need to jack the car up higher too.

JTrujillo86
06-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Also, I'm not sure if you've done this yet, but there is black panel that runs across the bottom of the engine compartment that covers the starter, etc. There are two plastic screws on each end and it pops right off...this should make it easier to get the filter off.

Jeremy

BNaylor
06-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Also, I'm not sure if you've done this yet, but there is black panel that runs across the bottom of the engine compartment that covers the starter, etc. There are two plastic screws on each end and it pops right off...this should make it easier to get the filter off.

Jeremy

Great info Jeremy. You are 100% correct.....sure makes the job easier. I don't know about you or anyone else but I've never had any problems removing the oil filter on an Alero 3.4.

RandyFrasman
06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your help, the problem was that I didn't remove the panel covering the starter...... There were two wingnuts and removing that black piece made this job a cinch! Thanks again for your help, I will now be doing my own oil changes from now on.

JTrujillo86
06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Glad to help...

Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!