Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AAAUUUGGGG!!!95 eclipse stalls or hits 0 @ various speeds....

suz_in_idaho
06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
I read this post on this site but its to old to get a reply...so you will read another users post i pasted to mine tha will follow!!!

HIM:
95 eclipse rs has low idle and stalls.....help!!! |
team_apocalypse [sm_search.gif]
AF Newbie

04-23-2005, 11:57 PM

95 eclipse rs has low idle and stalls.....help!!! (Post #1)

Okay....here's the deal. I aquired a 1995 Eclipse RS non-turbo with 86K on it. The engine was shot because the preivous owner drove through deep water and it got sucked into the engine. The rod in the first cylinder actually broke. I had the block redone, put in new rods, pistons, rings, seals, and bearings. Had the head redone too. Got all new gaskets, new timing belt, iridium plugs, 9.5mm wires, light-weight underdrive pulley kit, adjustable cam gears, header, high flow cat, and an Air Mass exhaust from Holley. I figured that would make things all better. Boy was I wrong.

It starts right up, but the idle bounces between 200 and 600 then stalls out. If I lightly press the gas and bring it to 1000, it sounds sooo beautiful. As soon as I take my foot off, it stalls out.

Trying to figure out the trouble codes. Check engine light blinks once for about a sec, pauses and then blinks twice for about a sec each, pauses and then blinks five times, pauses and blinks five times again.

What the hell is wrong with my car?? I can drive it as long as I don't let it idle at a light or stop sign. I just want to fix this once and for all.

ME:

OMG!!! I get the same codes!!! joined this site because I can't figure out nor can 3 different mechanics including the dealer... what the %$#@* is wrong with my 1995 eclipse!!URRrgggg!
I hope someone out there will know exactly whats going on here!
Did you do the "check engine" light, click 5 Xs, wait for and count the blinks? Thats how I got my codes.
Okay I'll try make a long story short, and I am a girl.
This has been going on for months!!! UUUrrrgggg!

Car running great!....No problems..Good to Go!
I swapped my BF 16 y old son vehicles so he actually had been driving the eclipse, he blew my clutch out!! %$#@*^
I had it replaced (Thats another Prob. way to much play... pedal to to loose ,not stiff and have to let up on it about 6 inches before car moves as opposed to 1/2 inch like before mechanic would not adjust!!! SAID and I quote" because people used to complain about to much stiffness when new clutch were installed ALL the manufactures got together and produced a standard looser clutch and no adjustment could be made, I'd get used to it! And my stall problem had nothing to do with clutch install...I told him according to the 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse Chilton repair guide the clutch could be adjusted for "to much play" it has the specs for doing so...He said and I quote " You can't go by that book...it's to old!!! my mouth was AGAPE!! needless to say my car will just hit 0 while going various speeds, sometimes when i push gas..it clips right back to current speed and sometimes it just stalls, it will start but only if the "check engine" light comes on when I turn key...if not it just cranks...some days it doesn't do it at all, and some days I can't get around the block...another shop said its the cam shaft sensor or crankshaft sensor according to their diagnostic test...should replace both....UUUrrggg! they have crankshaft on hand (have to order the other)so they throw that one on and tell me its fixed!! Wahoo! clipping along 50mph rrrruunnttt -0- again...stall...wait...start...stall yadda yadda! take it back to put my good sensor back on and replace the the cam sensor after all they said it was one or the other. NOT!! they never replaced the cam and they left the"new" crank shaft sensor I didnt need on....@#$%^Took it to Mitsubishi and they cant find anything wrong...it would not stall or zip to -0-...that was 3 months ago 1000's of $$$ 3 mechanics NO RESOLUTION!!! I'm ready to loose my mind!!! So WHAT IS IT!!! HELP MEEEEE!

Turbodog97
06-14-2005, 10:26 PM
have you checked the idle screw? whenever I purchased my dsm it didnt have one and it kept doing what you just described. It may be lose or non-existant, check that out. its on the throttle body under a small black plug

Add your comment to this topic!