Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Start Problem

cghag1
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm having an intermittant starting problem with my son's '87 Quantum GL-5 Wagon (non-syncro). I can't find a Quantum page, but figured this car was the predecessor to the Passat.

On occasion, typically when warm, the car will not start. The dash lights and all power equipment works fine, but the engine will not turn over. Not even a clicking sound. Sometimes when this has happened, if you turn the key all the way to start and wait it will eventually crank over. When it cranks it starts. Its the complete lack of cranking that is the intermittant problem.

Jumping the car makes no difference. Jiggling the key has not made a difference either. I haven't had the time to look closely at anything, but my first two guesses would be the ignition and the starter. When the car starts it runs fine and does not cut out or die. Well, it runs as fine as an 18 year old car with 170K on the odometer can be expected to run!

I'm open to any suggestions or Ideas. I have the Bently manual for this car, and have most tools needed to perform repairs. Thanks for your thoughts!

cghag1
06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
After some testing I ended up changing the battery. Even though it was only a year and a half old it was not holding a charge adequately. The problem was always an all or nothing proposition. It either cranked or it didn't. If it cranked it started. I didn't get the slow cranking symptom I would have expected with a battery slowly giving up the ghost. :screwy:

Duncan1
07-09-2005, 06:55 PM
If it still does it see if you can clean all the connectors on the battery and starter......

Add your comment to this topic!