Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

alternator question

fbi-interceptor
06-09-2005, 12:47 PM
ok here is the deal. when my car sits overnite or for several hours then i try and start it she idles really rough. and i see the battery volt gauge flickering. ok then today i disconnected my battery terminals and cleaned them. after i put them back on i started her up then drove off but she was very hesitant. she seemed like she was very sluggish in 1st gear. anyway the battery was kinda old and the terminals were bad as well. so i hopped on over to autozone and bought the best battery i could get for my car, then i replaced with very good terminals. still pretty of the start, another thing is when i use my power windows i see the volt meter drop. also when i put on the ac the volt meter drops. could this be from the alternator or what. its driving me insane!! i dont know what my next move should be. i mean what r some of the signs that your alternator isnt doing all it can for your car?? please help guys

cobradude360
06-09-2005, 08:25 PM
at night do the interior lights on like the radio and gauges get brighter when u hit the gas and get dimmer when u use like the windows?

BiggerJon
06-09-2005, 08:56 PM
after the battery replacement does it start any better, or no?

what year/type of car do you have? do you have underdrive pulleys?

how many miles do you have?

fbi-interceptor
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
no i dont notice lights getting dim inside or brighter when i hit the gas. to answer the second question its a 93 cvpi i just broke 100,000 miles. i dont know what the pully is u r mentioning

BiggerJon
06-09-2005, 11:17 PM
after the battery replacement does it start any better, or no?

what year/type of car do you have? do you have underdrive pulleys?

how many miles do you have?

if it still idles real bad like your original post then you have a bad iac. idle air control valve.

LANDO10101
06-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Scan The Computer.

tommysevens
06-12-2005, 08:13 PM
...and still have the same problem!!!
the only thing i can think of is...get a solar battery charger
...and if you don't charge the battery 1 time a week,when it stalls,hook that baby up and get home to hook it up to a battery charger.

Add your comment to this topic!