Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 skylark no start

stc78
06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
hi i have a 93 skylark with a 3.3 i just did a motor swap (the old one had a knock) with the same year motor and now wont start sounds like its out of time (backfires starter binds you know)

things ive tried so far are, but on a new crank sensor had module tested, good!, firing order is right, and am getting spark off all cylinders ,and am getting plenty of fuel pressure (now keep in mind the car was running perfect before i pulled the motor) so thats it, im at a loss i dont know where to go next, computer?, take front cover off and check the chain? lot of work! if you guys have any input it would be greatly appreciated thanks sean

Madcat455
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Did you actually hear the new engine run before you put it in?

How long was it sitting before you tried to start the new engine up?

stc78
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Did you actually hear the new engine run before you put it in?

How long was it sitting before you tried to start the new engine up?

no i didnt here it run i got it from a junk yard it was tagged 60,000 mi. and they garunteed me it was a good motor but who knows, it was real clean looked good inside to (i had to change the oil pan)

it was sitting for a year they said thanks for looking

Madcat455
06-10-2005, 06:01 PM
So... What did you re-use off of the old engine???

Did you use the running Fuel injectors?? or the ones on the Junk yard motor???

How does it sound when you're turning it over... Just turning normally, but not fireing, or does it sound like its going to catch... then not?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a feel for what you're seeing.

If you used the Junk yard injectors, then I'd swap them with the running ones... you don't know if they were good or not. (although, you can test them)

If you reused your running injectors, then I'd get a tester to see if they are actually getting triggered by the ECM.... I think autozone rents one that plugs into your stock injector harness.

Let me know.

stc78
06-11-2005, 09:47 AM
So... What did you re-use off of the old engine???

Did you use the running Fuel injectors?? or the ones on the Junk yard motor???

How does it sound when you're turning it over... Just turning normally, but not fireing, or does it sound like its going to catch... then not?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a feel for what you're seeing.

If you used the Junk yard injectors, then I'd swap them with the running ones... you don't know if they were good or not. (although, you can test them)

If you reused your running injectors, then I'd get a tester to see if they are actually getting triggered by the ECM.... I think autozone rents one that plugs into your stock injector harness.

Let me know.

hi yes i swaped the injectors when i had the problem and i had the module tested again and was good

and it turns over, and it wants to catch but it dosent and it sounds like it wants to bind like the timing is to far advanced (kickback)

ill check the injectors today and post tomorw thanks so much for the input

stc78
06-11-2005, 01:01 PM
hi yes i swaped the injectors when i had the problem and i had the module tested again and was good

and it turns over, and it wants to catch but it dosent and it sounds like it wants to bind like the timing is to far advanced (kickback)

ill check the injectors today and post tomorw thanks so much for the input

hi i just checked the injectors there all working properly but i noticed a couple of times when i stopped cranking and left the key on the injectors had pulse and sounded like they were firing, the light was dim but it was flashing, computer? could somthing have happend to it when i changed the motor?

Madcat455
06-11-2005, 04:07 PM
hi i just checked the injectors there all working properly but i noticed a couple of times when i stopped cranking and left the key on the injectors had pulse and sounded like they were firing, the light was dim but it was flashing, computer? could somthing have happend to it when i changed the motor?

Doubtful... but stranger things have been known to happen. I'd start with the basics, since you've never actually heard it run. First, I'd do a compression test to see what kind of pressure it had. Second, (if no problems were found there) I'd check the basic timing... Might have to pull off the front cover for this, but it looks like everything else is good.

Injectors are fireing, Spark Plugs are fireing. Unless its running rich (flooding), it has to be either the ECM or bad timing (since you've replaced all the sensors).

Two things I'd try first..... Try starting it with the gas pedal floored (if you already haven't)... That'll put the ECM in a "clear Flood" mode. then try spraying some "quick start" or some sort of starting aid in the air intake while you try to start it... and see if it makes a difference good or bad.

Also... do you have a spare MAF to try... I seem to rember more than a couple of times when a Mechanic would accidentally bump or hit the MAF with a tool, and suddenly the car wouldn't start. Symptoms just like you're describing. Might be something to try.

stc78
06-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Doubtful... but stranger things have been known to happen. I'd start with the basics, since you've never actually heard it run. First, I'd do a compression test to see what kind of pressure it had. Second, (if no problems were found there) I'd check the basic timing... Might have to pull off the front cover for this, but it looks like everything else is good.

Injectors are fireing, Spark Plugs are fireing. Unless its running rich (flooding), it has to be either the ECM or bad timing (since you've replaced all the sensors).

Two things I'd try first..... Try starting it with the gas pedal floored (if you already haven't)... That'll put the ECM in a "clear Flood" mode. then try spraying some "quick start" or some sort of starting aid in the air intake while you try to start it... and see if it makes a difference good or bad.

Also... do you have a spare MAF to try... I seem to rember more than a couple of times when a Mechanic would accidentally bump or hit the MAF with a tool, and suddenly the car wouldn't start. Symptoms just like you're describing. Might be something to try.

thanks fot the input i did put the maf off the runing motor but maybe ill get a new one and try it ill try the oter stuff soon as i get time and ill let you know thanks a lot

stc78
06-16-2005, 11:53 PM
thanks fot the input i did put the maf off the runing motor but maybe ill get a new one and try it ill try the oter stuff soon as i get time and ill let you know thanks a lot

hi sorry been busy this week 7 days at work, anyway i tried a computer today same exact thing, i guess its in to the motor i go unless someone has another idea, if it was off time it wouldnt hit the valves? cause it turns over fine except the ocasional kickback, and how would it get off time bad tensioner?, i dont know im just dreading taking the timing cover off its not easy but i cant just let this cherry car just sit here and rot thats what bugs me the most, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know youve been a big help so far thanks, sean

Madcat455
06-20-2005, 10:39 PM
No prob on the delay...lol. I've been on Vacation and just got back.

Sorry nothing panned out with the electrical.... It does look mechanical now. the 3.3 is not an "interferance" engine, so if it was completly off time the pistons never come close enough to hit a fully open valve (unless one of the retainers break and it drops, but that's another story...lol).

The tensioner is only for the drive belt, your timing is run off of a chain like older style engines.... I don't know if they used a tensioner for the timing chain itself, but I don't think so.

Before you bother tearing apart everything (if you already haven't), do yourself a favor and do a compression check... and post the PSI's you get for each cylinder. Get that out of the way before you bother ripping stuff off of it.

Let me know,

Good Luck

steve101
06-21-2005, 05:05 AM
no i didnt here it run i got it from a junk yard it was tagged 60,000 mi. and they garunteed me it was a good motor but who knows, it was real clean looked good inside to (i had to change the oil pan)

it was sitting for a year they said thanks for looking

personally before i went tearing into it id look into that guarentee. if the motor has internal issues then it was no good to begin with and you should get another motor

stc78
07-05-2005, 12:47 PM
personally before i went tearing into it id look into that guarentee. if the motor has internal issues then it was no good to begin with and you should get another motor

hi im back its been a very busy two weeks sorry, ok here it goes i did a compression check, good, i tore the front of the motor down, timing on, so i put it back together and tried to start, to my suprise it started right up and ran great for about ten minutes then it started missing and stalled an wouldnt start back up, same as before, no start, any ideas, the ses light was not on im going to get some new plugs tomorow and try that but am unsure what the result will be,so shoot me some ideas guys thanks a lot

Madcat455
07-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Man, I'm lost....lol. It's possible that it's way too rich, and flooding it out. But you'd think that in the ten minutes it did run, that there would've been black smoke or something before it stalled again.

Definately try new plugs, as that's the only thing that changed between it not running and then running for the ten min. (pulling them out for the Comp. check probably let them dry)

Let us know how the new plugs fare, I'm basically gonna hold out until after you try those... Weird.

stc78
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Man, I'm lost....lol. It's possible that it's way too rich, and flooding it out. But you'd think that in the ten minutes it did run, that there would've been black smoke or something before it stalled again.

Definately try new plugs, as that's the only thing that changed between it not running and then running for the ten min. (pulling them out for the Comp. check probably let them dry)

Let us know how the new plugs fare, I'm basically gonna hold out until after you try those... Weird.

ok here it goes, i did the plugs started right up ran perfect for 15 min when i saw a gas leak , injector o ring , so i shut it off for ten min while i fixed that and go to start nothing same shit im going to get a computer when i can swing it, thats my only option right? im lost too but i think thats my next step, thanks guys ill let ya know

Madcat455
07-06-2005, 02:50 PM
It's probably running way to rich, flooding out the plugs. That's why it started when you did the compression check, the plugs were out and able to dry off enough to run.

At least you're geting closer:grinyes: Once you figure out why it's running rich (ECM, bad sensor, aliens, Elvis, whatever reason), you can get this thing fixed.

Good Luck.

stc78
07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
It's probably running way to rich, flooding out the plugs. That's why it started when you did the compression check, the plugs were out and able to dry off enough to run.

At least you're geting closer:grinyes: Once you figure out why it's running rich (ECM, bad sensor, aliens, Elvis, whatever reason), you can get this thing fixed.

Good Luck.

hi i tried the computer yesterday no luck , i took it to the shop today so hopfuley the get it

jm2k8
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I have done exactly the same things gentlemen. I've fixed so many engine problems on alot of v-6's but not this one. 1993 Buick Skylark 3.3L

All of the fuel injectors are spraying, the ICM and COILS are good, etc.

It turns over and never starts, but does kind of fire, tease.

I have the engine down to the timing chain, lots of work, yes, but did it.

When I finally pulled up the timing chain cover, It really smelled gassy. Strong fumes came into my nose and makes me wonder.

It is in my two car garage, I paid $200 for it, and am determined to fix it.

I'm wondering if it isn't the piston rings that are shot considering people have told me that car "gets it" or "gets up and goes" or "has alot of pep."

It only has 63,000 miles on it and no engine leaks. Thanks guys!

BNaylor
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I have done exactly the same things gentlemen. I've fixed so many engine problems on alot of v-6's but not this one. 1993 Buick Skylark 3.3L

All of the fuel injectors are spraying, the ICM and COILS are good, etc.

It turns over and never starts, but does kind of fire, tease.

I have the engine down to the timing chain, lots of work, yes, but did it.

When I finally pulled up the timing chain cover, It really smelled gassy. Strong fumes came into my nose and makes me wonder.

It is in my two car garage, I paid $200 for it, and am determined to fix it.

I'm wondering if it isn't the piston rings that are shot considering people have told me that car "gets it" or "gets up and goes" or "has alot of pep."

It only has 63,000 miles on it and no engine leaks. Thanks guys!

Thanks for your input however please check the date and do not resurrect old threads per AF and per specific forum guidelines at the link below. You may start a new post on your issue. This thread has been closed.

Click here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=889653)

Add your comment to this topic!