Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing Serpentine Belt

wings_023
06-09-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm new to the Malibu website. Here is my dilema. I am trying to replace the serpentine belt in a 2000 Malibu, and there is little information on that here. 1 post. I purchased a Haynes manual and it says to support engine and remove right engine mount and lower the engine enough to remove the belt.

A post from this site form the past recommends to jack the engine up to remove belt:

Old Post Here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248825&highlight=serpentine+belt)

I guess my question that the above site does not give information on, is do you still have to remove the right engine mount if you jack the engine up?

Seems like a lot of work for a stinkin drivebelt!

Thanks for any help that you might provide!

Adam

BeatnikTermite
06-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Yes, you do.

Get a jack, a socket set and a piece of scrap wood approximately 8" by 8". Place the wood between the jack and the oil pan on the bottom of the engine. Lift the engine enough to remove the pressure on the engine mount bolts, but not enough to lift the car. Remove the engine mount (two nuts, two bolts), replace the belt, and reverse the process. You may want to pay close attention to the torque settings listed in the Haynes manual, because I remember them being different for the two nuts and two bolts depending on which ones you need to remove.

,,,and yes, what a pain in the arse for a belt!

bcopeland
06-12-2005, 12:56 PM
If I recall, you can replace the belt without actually raising the engine, but you do have to take off the motor mount bolts on the left side by the pulleys. Your manual should lead you into this area.

igkyoa
06-12-2005, 06:42 PM
yeah you dont have to raise the engine but you have to support it or you may crack something when you remove the mount

BeatnikTermite
06-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Yes, you do.

...Lift the engine enough to remove the pressure on the engine mount bolts, but not enough to lift the car...

To clarify, please do not confuse what I said for lifting the actual engine. As mentioned, you only need to remove the pressure on the mount.

gapboi210
06-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Gotta love GM's design for maintence.

bcopeland
06-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah, well that's not the only engineering quirk. What about checking the tranny fluid? Why did they design a car intentionally making it difficult to maintain? That GM manager should have been hit with customer service fraud!

Add your comment to this topic!