Battery & ABS Lights flashing-egines dies at times

aroznos
06-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I have a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo S 2WD( 4 cylinder, manual transmission) When I drove it today the battery light and ABS light came on and everytime I stopped the engine died. It would start ok and the battery /abs lights flickered on/off until the next stop and the engine died again. I was able to make it home but am concerned if the problem is a bad alternator or the what ? I checked the voltage at the battery terminals at idle and 2000 RPM ( 14 - 15 Volts). It doesn't die everytime it's idling, seems to occur after driving near highway speeds a short distance.

I took my truck in and had them check the codes- odd thing, the only codes in there was a PO300-- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire. Not sure what this means but can't see how it relates to the battery light and ABS light blinking on/off and the engine just dying at times- I checked and a new alternator is 165.00 ( rebuilt), I hate to spend the money if that's not the problem-- Any Suggestions would be appreciated, I suspected the alternator but the voltages (above) seemed ok-- I am at wits end, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ramblin Fever
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
What kind of spark plugs are in there? What's the mileage on them?

Isuzu's are volt picky vehicles, if they sense a weakness anywhere, they will act weird. Test your alternator under load, this is where it will show a fault on these trucks.

Word of advise, do NOT choose just any aftermarket alternator; needs to be an OEM alternator or you'll likely be eating them up every few months.

One thing I've learned about my Isuzu, they like high quality parts. But they last longer too.

Add your comment to this topic!