Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

MODS...NOOBS...read!! (please?)

blubaja
06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Noob, Mods, read

Please don't take this the wrong way. But I needed to get this rant of my chest. Or am I just getting old and grouchy...@20 years old...heh..
I've been on this forum for some time now. I really enjoy it. I want the noobs to learn. I love their contributions to this forum, don't get me wrong. We were all once a NOOB, but we got yelled at or shown the right direction too once. I just don't want AF to turn into some other forums I've been to. Endless threads keep popping up that are pointless and useless. This is by far the best forum and nicest people I have seen on pretty much the whole net.

NOOBS!! Please read or at least browse these threads. It will help us all out and you will be respected more.
AF Car Modeling Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63623)
IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE A.F MODELLING FORUM......PLEASE READ THIS FIRST (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84503) Gees...I see all these noobs, like 3 a week. That is a good thing, all new members are welcomed.
I see all these noob threads going on and on, and not getting locked or what, not a good thing.
What is happening mods? Noobs....I feel like a junior in high school, caught between the frosh and the seniors who have gone on an extended senior trip. Does noone care about rules anymore?

Noobs...PLEASE REMEMBER TO READ THE FAQ AND RULES AND TO SEARCH. If you are looking for pictures that show up as "red x", PM the thread starter, or the poster of the pics. If you are digging through old thread, I mean like threads more then 6 or s omonths old, and there are no new posts in them, PM the thread starter to see what's going on.

Welcome to AF all that are new.

injecting
06-08-2005, 07:57 PM
I totally agree with you dude. I'm still sorta breaking in the search and stuff my self. But yea I have noticed that there are alot of noobs coming and just posting no good/needed threads on questions that are in the FAQ's that are at the top of the page. But hopfully give them some time and they will learn. :grinyes:

SidewayzS15
06-08-2005, 07:58 PM
:werd: :ylsuper:

blubaja
06-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I still want to make it clear I have nothing against noobs. The more members the better. Just don't go posting away without asking yourself,...have I searched today,...I have a question that could possibly one that is freqeuntly asked......Welcome to AF all.

lilbudman
06-08-2005, 08:02 PM
They already have a sticky for this, whats the need for another thread the the n00b's will just ignore? :dunno: I too was scolded and sent along, and it would seem almost any one who cannot legaly drink will have to learn the hard way. :2cents:

freakmech
06-08-2005, 08:06 PM
this has been said a billion times over and your right but.... i can understand the noob mentality and im a little more forgiving about this. though i dont know if this applies to all noobs but alot of them are just really excited to find a place that they feel they belong or can relate to. sure there are cases where there are especially annoying noobs but you might notice the trend that these types generally start 100 threads in three days and then never return... they probably dont model or quit after a day or to of screwing up. i know when i first found this forum i had been modelling for a long time but know one in my area built cars, only military. i was so excited about this place trying to fit in and make aquantances that i ignored all the great and resourseful stuff on this forum. im guilty. but ive long since learned the ways and the "rules" and ive fell in love. trust me... the truely annoying soon fade, others may become people you come to respect. it just takes time is alll to weed the good from the bad. its unfortunate weve lost alot of great modellers do to this but if you dont let it bother you to much.... this forum will only build and become a better place. by the way.... he annoys me too so he is now on my Ignore list ;)

blubaja
06-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Youngins are one thing. But people who have managed to find this forum, or any other for that matter, and post certain questions....It's like, you were smart enough to find this site, but not smart enough for the rest of the internet, or is it that you are too lazy? There are other, almighty search button(s), such as Google and Yahoo. This is for all now. Not just noobs anymore...

SteveK2003
06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't mind legit questions about how to do something, even if it's in the FAQ, because you always get new answers and methods of how to do things.

willimo
06-08-2005, 08:31 PM
It's that time of year again, eh?

Fkouch
06-08-2005, 08:34 PM
While I agree completely I'd just like to say that I personally find the actual words NOOB and newbie to be more annoying than the actual 'noobs' themselves.

That and the words owned and pwned (why the hell spell it with P?).

Back to topic though, isn't there a way that newcomers can be guided automatically towards the FAQ when they join. To be honest I didn't notice it when I joined.

Cheers

Farrokh

steiny48
06-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I enjoyed this site at one time. I don't mind the "noobs" so much as I do the "boobs". I have been around this hobby for almost fifty years and I'm still learning, thus I don't mind a new member asking questions because all the answers are not in the 'FAQ's and there is not a one of us here that knows all the answers. The openner of this thread seems typical of his generation. They know and have done it all but are still wet behind the ears. This topic has made it easy for me to ignore this forum and hang out at the others I frequent where "noobs" don't seem to be judged so harshly. Get some life under your belt, then maybe you can have your rant. I have earned my right, I only regret that someone may take this as an insult and maybe it it. Since that someone insulted others, he ought to accept the same!

injecting
06-08-2005, 08:51 PM
School is pretty much out Will of coarse it that time again. :smokin: :grinyes:

blubaja
06-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey steiny,

Thanks for posting. I am not out to get all noobs, if that's what you where thinking. I admit I don't know everything. I still ask what's what now and then. I am not trying to discourage any newcomers. I just think they should do a little more searching before asking questions we'se seen over and over agian, then someone haveing to tell them where to look so they don't get frustrated and start making many extra posts for no1 responding to them. There needs to be some sort of reeducation...There is alot more to the internet then AF. I guess it could be a good thing that people think they can find all the answers here? Like, "hi, I'm new, I like to do models, but don't want to search here or anywhere else on the internet, please tell me all you know in the next post, and then I'll make 20 or so more threads to ask the same question because I didn't liek your answer." That's what I get out of most of the posts from some. "show me your pics because they are not showing up in the thread"-within a thread that is pretty old....That says you have found the search button..I don't mind, however, questions that would better us all, like some how tos that have not been coverd yet. It is good to ask questions if you don't know. But search maybe...or maybe you have a question that might be one asked frequently...? Steiny, thank you for posting and showing that not all noobs are a bad thing. They aren't. Welcome to AF.

Vric
06-08-2005, 09:22 PM

Soooo true.. Every year, when the school end, Noobs come in bunch here.

This problem will be solved in September :lol:

LS1Aaron
06-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Posts like this give "noobs" the impression that peolple are assholes.

blubaja
06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
If you mean me, I try to be helpful as much as I can. But I get tired of the same shit all the time. Consider this a hazing I reckon. If you can make it though this, then you really should stay. But is it too much for someone to work themselves and use methods we've all been told to use?? Not directed at you Aaron.

jswillmon
06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Posts like this give "noobs" the impression that peolple are assholes.

If you read his post you will see that he said several times it is nothing personal against all noobs, but people who do not follow the rules and that constantly ask questions that have been answerd over and over. If someone gets the impression that we are assholes you are probally one of the noobs we are talking about.
Everybody is a noob at one time or another. It is very easy to tell the diffrence between a new member with common sence and a kid playing on the internet.

g00eY
06-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Soooo true.. Every year, when the school end, Noobs come in bunch here.

This problem will be solved in September :lol:

roflolmao... this is about when i came last year...

alakai
06-08-2005, 10:30 PM
I know I'm not very high in post count, and am probably still considered a noob, but I see where Frank's coming from on this one. It's been said time and time again... read the FAQ, then search, and if your question still isn't answered, then post a question.
But I think digging up old threads and posting something like "kool, that car is so rad!" annoys me the most. Complimenting the modeler is great, but not 6 months after the thread was posted. :nono:
Ok, I think I've vented enough for the summer! :)

tonioseven
06-08-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm damned if I do, I'm damned if I don't so I do what I've been entrusted to do by the owner of the site; he trusts my judgement and has for a while now so if I can't please everyone, I don't really care. I'll not let the forum go to hell but no matter what I do, people complain. Look at how many mods are in this forum and think about how many even bother to visit regularly; There's a whole REAL world out there for you to enjoy!! If it gets too thick in here, log off and go enjoy life!! I mean this towards no one in particular so if anyone gets offended, please get over it!! Have a nice day. :)

Layla's Keeper
06-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Don't worry Tonio. If it get's to be too much for you, I can be Bad Mod to your Good Mod.

Or we can just rely on RallyRaider, he's got more experience at that. :p :biggrin:

tonioseven
06-09-2005, 12:06 AM
:lol: I'm actually about ready to tell them to rescind my modship.

hirofkd
06-09-2005, 12:11 AM
There's no such thing as useless thread. The problem is those who think they're smarter, but not experienced (in both internet and modeling) to realize the fact that they can always direct such a thread into a meaningful one. That's when a thread turns useless. Keep in mind that any idiot can call for an FAQ, and such a post is no more than a garbage.

The industry is changing constantly, so are the technique and products, and that means even if a particular question sounds familiar to a few regular people, there's always an option to make the thread meaningful by injecting new ideas and giving fresh information. That can never be done by the novice, which means it's one of the responsibilities of the experienced modelers. Also, we always see new people joining in, and they might know something we, the frequents, don't. FAQ is convenient, and ours is definitely more useful and informative than the others, but it's important to know that FAQ has a risk of restricting people's ability to seek out new ideas.

If you find a familiar-sounding title, just skip it. No one's forcing you to open and read it, let alone adding useless replies.

LS1Aaron
06-09-2005, 12:14 AM
I actually had an account for several years just have not been here in about a year and forgot my name.Got tired of people making stupid comments and assumptions.The only thing more annoying than the same newb questions is people complaining about newbs.If your so very annoyed there is a simple solution,dont reply to there posts. You cant do that though and pass up an opportunity to talk down to someone can you?

LS1Aaron
06-09-2005, 12:17 AM
That is not directed towards you BlueBaja,someone else said something smart ass about me being a newb.Simply a general assumption by someone with a poor attitude.Its no wonder this hobby isnt so popular now,people are assholes.
The New Guy

RallyRaider
06-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Hmm. Kind of loathe to step into this one.

Just let me say that I hope all new (newbie, n00b, etc) members feel welcome on this site. After all, sharing information and improving our skills is what this place is all about. We all had to start somewhere and it is fun to assist others on their journey through the hobby. Feel free to ask any question you wish but as Frank quite reasonably requests, please be polite enough to follow forum etiquette, like reading the FAQ and searching first. Chances are your questions will be answered much quicker that way anyway!

Having said that, somebody is always going to get up somebody else’s nose from time to time. I for one dislike those who refuse to post clearly in their native tongue. But hey this is the internet, not part of real life, just step away from the computer and have some flesh and blood fun if goings on here are becoming a bit too much.

As for the question at the beginning of the thread about why mods don’t close down “useless” threads. Well I guess the definition of useless is different to each individual. I like to think the content of this forum belongs to all of us members so we mods should try not to stifle discussion and only step in if a clear guideline has been breached.

LK, fortunately I haven’t had the need to play evil mod or wield the ban stick for a long time. :)

Bas Carwash
06-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Just like Will said, it´s the time of the year again. Everybody that gets annoyed by the noobs posting useless stuff, take a break until september :thinkerg: Everybody that is able to ignore it, just enjoy the good threads and nice projects that are going on at the moment.

Tonio, you were the last one I would expect to get so depressed by these things! I never have had any problems with the mods and their judgements since I´ve been here. AF is a great place and although there might be people that do not agree with your judgement, as long as there are satisfied people you´re doing well.

alakai
06-09-2005, 06:01 AM
I've got to say that this forum, and actually AF in general is probably one of the friendliest, good natured and informative forums I've ventured onto. I see no problems with the mods, they're neither overly laid back letting anything go, nor or they "mod nazis" bringing the smackdown on every single thread. I'm also proud to see that this particular forum includes a good deal of self-moderation as well.
Tonio you've done a great job, and everything needing to be addressed has already been done in your previous post. As stated earlier, it's that time of year and along with more newbie confusion will be the occassional thread complaining about the newbs. Sadly, it's a fact of life. That being said, I hope these thread rants don't scare away any potential members. The more the merrier, and the more progress pics for me to drool over! :smile:

D_LaMz
06-09-2005, 07:11 PM
This will solve everyone's probelms and show noobs how to use the forums.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

freakmech
06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry im also into flash film and this is great... i have not seen this one!!!! thanks!!!!!

blubaja
06-09-2005, 07:57 PM
LMFAO!! That video RoXOrZZZ teh big one!!!!111! hehe...yeah...all noo-err..new members should be automatically directed to that video. Keep the peace between us all. I never meant to flame new members, just to rant out. So, I appologize for any other members comments that might have hurt any feelings. Welcome to AF!

Frank X.

freakmech
06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Glad to see your feeling better Frank! at the very least we still have humor... now lets build some kits :cheers:

Add your comment to this topic!