Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil pan replacement

jkdon
06-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Has anyone ever tackled an oil pan replacement on a 92 crown vic? It looks pretty labor intensive. I'd hate to scrap her for an oil leak.

thanks
JKdon

ModMech
06-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Accordin the the service manuals it is *possible* to replace the oilpan without removing the engine. Let's just say that I am an ASE certified Master mechanic, and I found it much easier to just pull it.

jkdon
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your quick reply Modmech. Does the engine have to come out of the thing, or can I Lift it off the mounts a bit?

thanks
JKdon

way2old
06-08-2005, 07:03 PM
If you remove the wiper module, raise the engine and block it at least 4 inches, it will come out. i have done several, but if the body mounts are weak, it is a lot harder. I don't think I want to tackle one on the ground. Also you may have to loosen rear transmission mount, jack up trans a little and wiggle pan out. It is a tight fit. The oil pickup tube is off center and the baffle in the pan needs to be worked off the tube. Have fun and good luck. First one takes about 6 hours on a lift. Can pull engine, replace pan, install and have running in same amount of time.

jkdon
06-09-2005, 08:09 AM
thanks way2old

does anything else have to be loosened besides the rear tranny mount to give me the 4inches?

thanks
JKdon

way2old
06-09-2005, 11:00 AM
The rear mount may or may not need to be removed. If there is not enough clearance by raising the motor, then you will need to loosen the trans mount.

Add your comment to this topic!