Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pressure

1979Devon
06-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I have a 94 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 Vortec that doesn't run. I hooked a fuel pressure tester up and I only got around 30 lbs. of pressure before the fuel pump shut off, which I should have 60 lbs., I was told. I know that the pressure gauge should stay at the pressure you have, after you shut the key off, but it won't hold the pressure even a second. I took the pelineum off and checked to see if any of the hoses were cracked coming from the injector and they were all good. I also changed the fuel filter. I replaced the fuel pump last fall. Would it be the fuel pump again or is there anything else it could be?

OverBoardProject
06-07-2005, 11:46 PM
probably the fuel pump.
There might just be a warranty on the pump, but there isn't usually any on electric parts

jackass#1
06-08-2005, 05:17 AM
sounds like a very weak pump. dont get a cheap aftermarket or rebuilt, get the delco its worth every cent.

rlith
06-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Before ripping out the fuel pump pull the upper plenum and check for washing. If the CPI and or nut kit is shot that will cause low fuel pressure too. If the driver's side is washed, it's your CPI, if the passenger side, it's your nut kit. If you replace the cpi, replace the nut kit as a matter of course.

1979Devon
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I took the plenium off when I was checking the hoses to see if they were cracked. Neither side was washed. Both sides had carbon on them. I disconnected the pressure line from the CPI and plugged it while I checked the fuel preesure and I was still getting 30 lbs. So I guess that pretty much tells me it has to be the fuel pump. It's just hard to believe that in 8 months it goes out. The pump sounds like it did the day I stuck it in. I guess that's what I get for buying a cheapo. At least it has a warranty on it still, but that doesn't make up for the time it takes to replace it again. Thank you for the replies. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

rlith
06-09-2005, 07:53 AM
When you replace the fuel pump, also get a new check valve.

Add your comment to this topic!