Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'87 300cid six overheating and loud gurgling

larry4242
06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
When I drive about 10 miles or so, the temp guage reads hot and when I turn the engine off you get a loud gurgling for a few minuits. Just had the water pump and sthero replaced. any ideas? radiator is full of antifreeze. Larry

Austin8214
06-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Sounds like you have air in the cooling system.

fordtrucksonly
06-08-2005, 01:27 PM
sounds like the thermostat has gone bad. The gurgling sound you hear is the coolant starting to accually boil. Replace thermostat and your problem should be solved.

Hollowcreek
06-16-2005, 02:54 PM
This sounds stupid, but make sure that the impeller on the water pump is exactly the same as the old one. I have seen rebuilt pumps with the impeller backwards. I had to return mine to Auto Zone and found that every one in stock was wrong. (HINT) the fins on the impeller should be pitched in the same direction as the belt turns and should be facing you when you look at the back of it. Every one at two local auto zones had the fins facing in to the front of the pump and the flat side facing the motor.
On another occassion I also had a blockage due to a buildup of rusty sludge in the block which was cured by flushing the motor.
The only time I heard a gurgling sound was when the heater core went bad though, which was followed by gentle sound of my own personal under dash waterfall.

Add your comment to this topic!