Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing 2000 chevrolet S-10 Pick-up Alternator

Rhonda Scarbrough
06-07-2005, 09:03 PM
We have a 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up and the alternator has gone out. Could someone please help with a procedure (what to move out of way) to get this alternator out. Are there special tools needed to remove alternator? Any advise is welcome and would greatly be appreciated. Check back later.

Rhonda Scarbrough
06-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Could someone please help me out?!?! Maybe someone knows of another website to visit or someone to call, we really need to try and fix this ourselves and not have to pay someone else to do it. PLEASE HELP!!

spivey-1
10-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Ok rhonda calm down, i just recently changed a alternator on a s-10 similar to yours 2000 model and i did not use any tools it is pretty simple if you know what you are doing. first un bolt the alternator and simply remove the belts that is the easy part the hard part is getting the thing back on and the absolute hardest thing is getting the damn belts back on you just have to use some good ole american muscle. no special tools required just take your time on it and you will get through it. if you take it to a dealership it is going to cost you big. if this doesnt help just when you take the old one off look at how you are doing it and put the old one on just the same way not very hard except for the belts. need more help just ask.

p.s. i did not move anything out of the way.

spivey-1
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
i did not use any "special" tools i mean rhonda

Bads Crew
10-18-2005, 07:56 PM
I have change lots of em but not on the 2000. You might chech this site and see if someone can give you a step by step.

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/og1/crewcab.htm

balls_to_the_wall
10-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I assume its just like my 89.

First, use as big of ratchet you can find to pull back the tensioner pully for the serptine belt.
WATCH YOUR FINGERS AROUND THE BELT
Pull the belt off the pully, watch how it wraps around all the pulleys, if you forget, there is a diagram somewhere under the hood.

Disconnect the wiring to the alternator. I bleive it is one plug and a wire ring terminal.

Undo the bolts holding the alternator on.
If I remember right, there are two of them, one is easy to get to, the other one isn't as easy, but still not to hard.

Take old one, put in new one's box and take back to autoparts store for the core charge.

Put new one in place, pulley facing forward.

Put bolts in and tighten down, torque to about what the old ones were....(god i hate it when dad tells me "torque them about that tight")

Pull back the tensioner pulley.

Slip belt back on pulleys correctly, making sure that there are no turn or antying in the belt.

Also it is a good time to look at the belt to see how it looks, if you have doubts, replace it.

Twice I have been driving in vehicles with 4.3L's in them, THUMP THUMP THUMP. Wtf? It is the belt that shreads appart. The outside ribs start to come off and wack the shit outa other stuff. FYI If that ever happens, just cut off the part that came off. Then stop at the first autoparts store you find to buy a new one.

I think that should be it.

-Ryan

(Hope this helps out a little)

Add your comment to this topic!