Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Civic coupe - door speakers are all highs?

Devedander
04-17-2002, 01:31 AM
I just installed some fosgate components in my doors and they don't sound quite like I thought they would. Before there was the original tweeters that honda puts in and a pair of Eclipes 2 ways in the doors. They sounded ok but the eclipses were tearing and sounded bad loud. I dropped in some Fosgate 5-3/4 inch components and they are great for highs but have almost NO bass. They are hooked up through the cross over that came with it but that shouldn't keep the woofers from being at least kinda bassy.

My question is this, I left in the original wiring for the speakers and just ran my own wires around. The inputs for my crossovers are the original woofer speaker wires and the original tweeter wires are just hanging there. I was wondering if anyone knows if the tweeter connectors have to be hooked up to something to give full sound or if that is just how something like this would sound.

To give an impression what is happening, I turn the gain up on the front two almost 70% (about max what I want to put into these speakers) and there is almost no descernable bass, while my boston rx67 in the back have a little bass to them at only 50% gain (and they have higher RMS).

Sorry for such a long post.

clatescivicr
04-17-2002, 02:27 AM
When I had my Atomic Quantums 6 1/2 3 ways, there was plenty of enough bass. I was using a DEI 150 amp on them, which doesn't even put out that much power. If I had them in kicks(at the time I had them all in the door(custom, but no sound testing was done, I just wanted to get them in the doors because at the time my dad didn't want to help me make kick panels because they said there too hard, but then when I was home a few weeks ago he says there easy...lol) I could have almost done without subs. Granted they were no subwoofers believe me, but for someone who just wanted a some bass into there music but nothing crazy, I would suggest going with them. And they were VERY MUSICAL.....started getting me away from rap/hip-hop(bassy music) since other music actually started to sound like music and not bass!

edit: I also was using stock wiring.(its a pain to get wires through the doors!) Also are those Fosgates known for having bass?

sparq
04-17-2002, 02:34 AM
Whats your crossover points on the amp and the crossover module with the components... it might be possible you arent getting bass because bass isnt getting to the speaks!

clatescivicr
04-17-2002, 02:39 AM
Yeah I forgot to mention that....and that makes a HUGE difference.... well atleast it did for mine...

Ughh I must get back to my huge project thats due in 5 hours ;)
Why is PH still so addicting? LOL

Originally posted by sparq
Whats your crossover points on the amp and the crossover module with the components... it might be possible you arent getting bass because bass isnt getting to the speaks!

Devedander
04-18-2002, 12:23 AM
I have messed with all my crossover stuff and to pretty much no avail. First here is the relevant stuff:

RF 500x amp
Back is boston rx67 with rms 60 and max 160
frons are Fosgate 5 1/2 with 50 watt rms and 100 watt max

I have 3 crossovers, HU, amp, and little fosgate crossovers I installed with the speakers.

With the HU set to no HPF and the amp set to full the speakers still have almost no bass. when the amp is engaged at 120 (it only has 120 hp and 80 lp) the speakers sound tinnier, and when the 80 hz HU crossover is engaged there is little difference. The crossover that came with the speakers has an output for the tweeters and one for the speakers so I think the full should pass to the woofers and only highs to tweeters. The tweeters sure get the highs but sound kinda harsh.

I am wondering if I just got so used to subs that I think bass doesn't sound as loud anymore or if these speakers might be messed up. I am gonna check around some other cars as well to see how their speakers sound.

Add your comment to this topic!