Maxi-Frig for R12

Donald91tbird
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I just bought this stuff from Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7977711134&fromMakeTrack=true)
called "Maxi-Frig" for R-12. I read a few things about it off forums but I just want to know what you guys thought of it. I always seem to find the best advice in this forum anyway. It is summer time and about 95 degree's here in FL... and im a daily driver, so the heat is unbearable.
Any thoughts, Pros & Cons of this stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

intrcptrbird
06-08-2005, 04:24 AM
The only things that I can think of is that you're still gonna need to get it done by a professional and it might be pretty hard to find one that is familiar with that product esp. since it runs lower head pressures and such.
The other thing is that it sounds a little weird to be a sort of mix of freon and 134. That just doenst seem right to me casue both of those have very different properties.

Donald91tbird
06-09-2005, 02:47 AM
are you positive that I need to get in proffesionally taken care installed?

97Bird
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
The old freon has to be purged into a tank so that it doesn't escape into the atmosphere. Only an a/c shop can do this. You don't want to hurt Mother Nature do you? Then gauges are connected and a vacuum pump is used before installing the new refrigerant. Unless you have guages, a vacuum pump and a way to properly remove the old freon and dispose it then go to a professional to have the system recharged.

Donald91tbird
06-09-2005, 04:39 PM
The old freon has to be purged into a tank so that it doesn't escape into the atmosphere. Only an a/c shop can do this. You don't want to hurt Mother Nature do you? Then gauges are connected and a vacuum pump is used before installing the new refrigerant. Unless you have guages, a vacuum pump and a way to properly remove the old freon and dispose it then go to a professional to have the system recharged.

I purchased a kit...Retrofit kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7978928914&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1) on Ebay also.

I was asking if it needs to be professionally done...

Seller's reply was:

No, You can install it yourself if you have a A/C pressure gauge and a 134a filler unit.
And a retro kit if you are chargeing a R12 system. Its a very simple process.
Just read the directions on the can...
There is no need to evacuate the system unless it is already full of pressure.
I do offer the installation kit in my other auctions if you dont have one yet.... For $15.99
Believe me...You will save Money doing it yourself... Especially if you have the R12 system...
They can be very expensive to service..
Thanks for the question..RC

intrcptrbird
06-13-2005, 02:43 AM
That doesnt look right. The profesional one has three gauges Im not really sure what each is for and I dont know what exactly that gauge is for in the pic but I do know it is VITAL that the head pressure be kept at a certain level while charging the system. The evaauation of the old gas and air needs to be done several times in order to ensure that there is not mosture in the system. If there is then the system can have major problem like rust. I would strongly suggest getting it professionally done.

97Bird
02-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the forum asproegypt1 and thanks for the info. Did you see the date of the last post?! :smile:

Add your comment to this topic!