Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car getting on?

wonkey
06-07-2005, 05:18 AM
I am hoping for some advice on the next steps - appologies for the long post!

I have a 1993 306, 1.6 engine with 80k on the clock. Few years back I had problems with the alarm making strange noises when the car was parked up. Peugeot garage told me I needed a new ECU and at £500 I decided not to go for it and have just used the central locking since.

Four months ago the car had a full service and a new battery. Since then I have noticed some unusual querks.

- Car temperature gauge seems to get hotter than it used to. There is no red area on the guage, but I assume anything close to 100 degrees is bad!

- There is a lack of power after 3000 rpm. It was never the most powerful, but didn't struggle to get up to and past 70mph on a motorway. The car doesn't sound like it's misfiring, any ideas?

I'd like to sell the car now, but don't want to pass it on in the condition it is ...

Thanks.

Mr Vegas
07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I am hoping for some advice on the next steps - appologies for the long post!

I have a 1993 306, 1.6 engine with 80k on the clock. Few years back I had problems with the alarm making strange noises when the car was parked up. Peugeot garage told me I needed a new ECU and at £500 I decided not to go for it and have just used the central locking since.

Four months ago the car had a full service and a new battery. Since then I have noticed some unusual querks.

- Car temperature gauge seems to get hotter than it used to. There is no red area on the guage, but I assume anything close to 100 degrees is bad!

- There is a lack of power after 3000 rpm. It was never the most powerful, but didn't struggle to get up to and past 70mph on a motorway. The car doesn't sound like it's misfiring, any ideas?

I'd like to sell the car now, but don't want to pass it on in the condition it is ...

Thanks.

Car temperature is fine up to around 100 degrees,the cooling fans usually cut in at around 90 degrees,just keep an eye on water levels and you'll be fine.

how are the plugs,air and fuel filter?If it was diagnosed with a faulty ecu then it's hard to find the source of the fault if the ecu is in poor condition.When does it run struggle for power eg..after start up?when it's cold?93..is that a carb engine?

wonkey
07-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, but it's sorted now.

Turns out the baffles had gone in the exhaust, so I had a new backbox fitted for £60 and all the problems went away :)

Mr Vegas
07-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, but it's sorted now.

Turns out the baffles had gone in the exhaust, so I had a new backbox fitted for £60 and all the problems went away :)

I can't believe that i didn't think of that,i've seen it so many times on 306's with the square muffler... :banghead: ..good to see you sorted it.

Add your comment to this topic!