Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it the brake booster?

Blue_bags
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Here we go again. New problem with my 88 toy. The brakes are mad scary. It doesn't work when I first push it down, but after I push it down the second time it works???? Its happening with more frequency nowdays, so I'm scared to drive it, I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow. Just curious though, mechanic told me its probably the brake booster? I wonder how cheap this is gonna be?

fourwd1
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Having to pump the pedal usually means air in the line, but I guess it could be the booster too. Or even the vacum line to the booster.

ECVcrawltoy711
06-07-2005, 03:23 PM
if the vacume line was missing or messed up it would make a really hard pedal. sounds like he has air in the lines

DRew

corbinwaterski
06-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm going with a bad master cylinder and/or air in the lines.

fourwd1
06-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Usually with a bad master cylinder you have good pedal (and brakes) at first, then it slowly sinks to the floor.

With air in the line you don't get good pedal/brakes at first, you have to pump it a few times.

Blue_bags
06-09-2005, 01:28 AM
WHOA.....Thanx for your guys views on the situation. Heres the skinny...The master brake cylinder was bad, the rear drums were filled with fluid...and all the brake lines were rotted and some were plugged on purpose. Mechanic told me took um pretty much all day just for the truck. The dood I take the truck to knows me pretty much by name now......he told me he has never seen anything like this before. Drank sum beers and then he pointed out a whole nother mess of shit the truck Is going to need done...I think I'll post up these cuz he said it would be best to do it by myself, being as im not mechanically inclined, this should be interesting.
Newayz, much mahalos for all your guys help...and I'm glad I got the brake system done, because now it doesn't feel so much of a deathtrap anymore. Thanx all.....payceee

Add your comment to this topic!