More power

BorysKndrt
06-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi everyone. I have owned the first gen '97 Passport for 5 years now, and have put well over 130k miles on it. After all this time, i have finally desided to make some mods to it. I am looking to add some power, but i do not want to do anything drastic (aka EXPENSIVE). If its possible for me to get another 30-50 hp, i would be perfectly happy. I am going to get a lift and some larger tires, somewhere in the neighborhood of 32/10.50s or 265/75/16, but the tires look they will clear without the need for a lift. I really like the "stuffed" look, where the tires look almost too big, and fill the wheel wells really well. I need some input on how to get some hp out of my truck, and if i should expect any problems with the tires i'm getting. Has anyone tried one of the power tuners, or anything else that will give me a pretty good and safe gains in hp. Any information is appreciated. If you have any other ideas, let me know as well.

amigo-2k
06-06-2005, 08:38 PM
all you will find are air filters and mufflers which may give you 10-15hp (max).

The only way you will get the kind of HP your talking about costs some really cash since you will have to have it custom made (turbo, supercharger and so on).

you may beable to rear gear to help get back some HP due to the larger tires.

Also, putting a lift and larger tires on a truck with 130k be ready for other failures (like the CV joints).

Ramblin Fever
06-07-2005, 12:46 AM
I ran a set of 265/75 16's for a year on my 97. Loved how they looked, but didn't want wear and tear on other parts, including added strain on the auto tranny, as my truck carries around a lot of extra gear, not too mention accessories attached to the truck - pushbar, Yakima Loadwarrior rack w/extension, class 3 hitch, heavy receiver, you get my point.

The truck in and of itself, with the accessories, hauled those tires just fine - load up the truck, tack on a 4k# boat, you're talking 2nd gear to get on the highway.

I just didn't like the way mine was having to work extra hard just to push those tires.

I went down one size, 245/75's, not as full looking, but I can master that same load now in 3rd gear and the tranny's not kicking hard.

I do have to point out, that I did not re-gear the rear end. That may be all you need to do.

But I agree, upsizing tires is one thing; taking on a lift and gaining HP, watch and highly maintain that tranny (if it's an auto).

Add your comment to this topic!