Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

throttle body?

V T E C H
06-06-2005, 04:20 PM
What are the advantages of having a custom throttle body, what does this do for the car, is it worth the cash? I didnt know, so i thought i would ask you guys.

thanks in advanced.

geisi13
06-06-2005, 09:52 PM
id like to know the same, i have an aftermarket intake manifold and an obx throttlebody spacer and was thinking of getting a throttle body to go with it before i put it all on, would it be worth it? all ive heard is that if you havea bigger bore throttle body it will give you a quicker throttle response and more high end power

CivicSpoon
06-06-2005, 10:19 PM
I personally wouldn't waste my $ on it, unless you've got a high hp setup. When you start getting into things like intake manifolds and bigger throttle bodies, you're running the risk of losing hp in most of your powerband. Like if you were looking at a dyno sheet; you may gain max hp but lose hp throughout the powerband. I'm not saying that it will happen, but it is possible.

V T E C H
06-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Well thank you, that was very informative, but i still was wondering what exactly a bigger throttle body is doing, why is it adding, or losing in some cases, hp.

geisi13
06-07-2005, 09:03 AM
what about boring the stock thorttle body? im gonna be running a bigger turbo soon, would it be in my better interest to do this? because i would have more airflow

95whitehb
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
it allows more air to come in faster; it can help alot, if yer setup is askin for more air .... but more times than not ppl just buy them b/c they think "they add hp" to every motor setup.... n they end up losing power

V T E C H
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
so if you had a turbo/supercharger this would be a good idea, or your car was very moded NA? other wise you are losing hp across your powerband and only gaining it at a certian point? am i getting it or am i way off?

CivicSpoon
06-08-2005, 06:33 PM
You've got it. It shouldn't be considered a basic bolt-on. It should be for high hp FI or NA applications.

geisi13
06-08-2005, 08:16 PM
ok so since my car is turbo then it would help me. would i be better off boring my stick throttle body or buying an aftermarket one?

sivic02
06-09-2005, 12:45 AM
If your gonna do it do it right, Individual throttle bodies...mmmm....sexy....

Heres a way to think about it, unless youve had to upgrade your fuel delivery then you wont need to worry about the throttle body yet.

94PreludeJDM
06-11-2005, 01:46 PM
I could be wrong, but there was a discussion about individual throttle bodies before, and I thought I remembered the fact being brought up that you can't use individual throttle bodies with a turbo.

sivic02
06-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Making an airbox like some guys do for running a CAI on the ITBS it makes sense that you should be able to run a turbo on it, might be a pain in the ass but I think it could be done. I dont know for sure so I could be wrong, if someone knows for sure let us know!

97integrals
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
ITB can be used with FI you just have to make a plenum for the runners. There are lots of people running this kind of set-up. I know I have seen some pics on Honda-tech before I'll try to post them up here.

97integrals
06-11-2005, 04:40 PM
here ya go, pictures are of tony the tiger's gsr with ITB and turbo.
more info about the car and video's at this website:
http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/
http://htracing.homestead.com/files/IntegraParts/ITBmanifold.JPG
http://htracing.homestead.com/files/IntegraParts/ITBmanifold2.JPG

sivic02
06-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks for clearing it up and posting the pics, and about the pics i think it is safe to say... :eek2:

Add your comment to this topic!