Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rochester Carburetor Rebuild Gone Bad

danielwka
06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I own a '65 Impala with a 283 and a 4-barrel carb. I know virtually nothing about the carburetor but I had some spare time last weekend so I rebuilt it. Now I need to know what I did wrong.
I thought I put everything back together as it was, but now it's dumping fuel all over the place when I try to start the motor. It will start, but it will run really rough because its drowning in fuel. There's also a really loud air type vacuum sound that it never made before (Loud), and after I stop trying to start it and look inside the carburetor, I see fuel Pouring from all four jets. Not dripping, Pouring.
I already took it back appart once to see if anything just fell apart and it all looks like I thought it should.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?

victimizati0n
06-07-2005, 03:05 PM
sounds like you missed a vacuum line, or put one in the wrong place.

danielwka
06-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Here's a quick update, it turns out the rebuild kit I got was crap and I had to reuse all the metal parts for the floaters. This fixed the fuel dumping problem. It is no longer pouring all over the place.
However, the loud air noise is still there and although it starts, it only stays running for about 4-5 seconds. No matter how hard I race the motor, it still dies on me. I'll keep looking for vacuum mistakes, but I'm pretty sure I hooked all those up right.

Add your comment to this topic!