Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/c Question

wolfen327
06-06-2005, 07:19 AM
I have a 94 jimmy 4.3 vortec my problem is when i jump the switch to kick the a/c compressor in i get a bunch of yellow goop coming out of where the lines connect to the back of the compressor so i realize i have a leak that needs fixed however it is a r-12 system so what am i going to have to change to switch it over to the r-134 thanks

CharlotteHawk
06-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Pick up a r-134 conversion kit from autozone or a similar place. It will have the fittings to place over the r-12 ones. After repairing the leak Have a vaccum dran on your system. Follow the kits instructions and you should have no problems. I have done 4 with out any problems.

wolfen327
06-07-2005, 09:01 AM
ok went and got kit the service guy told me i would need 40 ounces of r-134 so i came home put it in and i get cool air not cold ..after reading further and doing the math the book said i came up with it only needing 25.6 ounces of freon who is right?
And if it is overcharged would this make it not cool as good as it should and if so how can i fix this problem thanks

ArnzCardz
06-07-2005, 12:00 PM
ok went and got kit the service guy told me i would need 40 ounces of r-134 so i came home put it in and i get cool air not cold ..after reading further and doing the math the book said i came up with it only needing 25.6 ounces of freon who is right?
And if it is overcharged would this make it not cool as good as it should and if so how can i fix this problem thanks
You need to take some out....Go by your math.

wolfen327
06-08-2005, 06:50 PM
ok took some of it out the gauge says system is charged not over charged now still the lowest i can get it to drop is 60 degrees on max with fan on high running 55mph thats with thermometer in the vent also when you shut the truck off it sounds like pressure releasing

DelCoch
06-10-2005, 02:58 AM
ok took some of it out the gauge says system is charged not over charged now still the lowest i can get it to drop is 60 degrees . . .
When you pulled the system down with a vacuum pump, how far did it draw down, and did it hold it there for 20-30 minutes? If you had a leak in the system big enough to allow air and moisture into the system you will need to replace the accumulator/drier, as it will be full of moisture and will contaminate the system when you re-fill it.

ArnzCardz
06-10-2005, 04:27 PM
ok took some of it out the gauge says system is charged not over charged now still the lowest i can get it to drop is 60 degrees on max with fan on high running 55mph thats with thermometer in the vent also when you shut the truck off it sounds like pressure releasing
FAn on high speed will give a higher temp.

Add your comment to this topic!