Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96Honda Civic fuel problem

staycb51
06-05-2005, 03:39 PM
About six months ago I was on the highway when my civic lost acceleration. Took off ramp and coasted to side of road. Once stopped, the car cut off and wouldn't restart. Had it towed home, and when it was on an angle it turned over! Took it to a mechanic who said it was clogged fuel injectors. $250 later the fuel injectors had been cleaned and spark plugs changed 'cause he said they'd fouled out. It ran REALLY good the first two days I had it back....great pickup. Then, it started to act just a bit sluggish, so I took it back to the mechanic and described what I was experiencing. He drove it and said he didn't know what I was talking about, it was fine. So, here it is six months later and the same thing happens-minus it starting at an angle on the flat-bed. My husband and I changed the spark plugs hoping this would give it enough fire to start and I could get some fuel injection cleaner in it...and a full tank of gas. (no, it's not out of gas...it has half a tank!) But, this didn't work. The first time this happened, we changed the fuel filter on the firewall before we took it to the mechanic. That didn't help. Our thoughts are I have a bad gas tank or bad injectors. Before we change the injectors it's been suggested that we drop the gas tank and clean or replace it. First, has anyone had this experience? Second, any ideas on what's causing this perpetual problem? And lastly, can anyone direct me to directions on dropping the gas tank? Thanks for the help....a dead Honda is absolutely no good to me!!! :eek7:

superbluecivicsi
06-19-2005, 11:59 PM
check your fuel pump and relays. if your gas tank is not leaking, there is no need to drop it. no CELs on a 96 with fuel problems. no problems with the fuel pressure regulator vac line, fuel line, or o ring?

staycb51
06-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. Finally had to take it to a mechanic....just couldn't go too long without a vehicle. $260 later, wasn't fuel, it was fire! Ignition, coil and points system is what my husband told me they fixed. Don't even know if he and I could have fixed this problem ourselves, but we definitely would have been shooting in the dark trying to figure it out...and wouldn't have started there! Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!