Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 caravan starting problem

jfalk
06-05-2005, 02:21 PM
My 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has a problem with "cold" starts. If it sits for more than an hour it has a hard time starting. (weather temperature doesn't make a difference) Once it starts you can shut it off and it will start right back up. When you try to start the van it will crank for 5 -6 seconds before it will start. When it finally does start there is a strong smell of gas. I have replaced the throttle position sensor, erg valve, fuel filter, plugs, wires, ingition coil and it still acts up? I have been told it maybe a bad fuel injector, a bad engine control module or a bad cam sensor....I do not know which direction to go and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and take it into a dealer to have them check it. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you have had this problem or know what this problem is all about....Thanks.

Stretch58
06-05-2005, 03:13 PM
My 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has a problem with "cold" starts. If it sits for more than an hour it has a hard time starting. (weather temperature doesn't make a difference) Once it starts you can shut it off and it will start right back up. When you try to start the van it will crank for 5 -6 seconds before it will start. When it finally does start there is a strong smell of gas. I have replaced the throttle position sensor, erg valve, fuel filter, plugs, wires, ingition coil and it still acts up? I have been told it maybe a bad fuel injector, a bad engine control module or a bad cam sensor....I do not know which direction to go and I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and take it into a dealer to have them check it. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you have had this problem or know what this problem is all about....Thanks.

Not sure how many miles on yours. One test I have heard of for a fuel pump is to try turning on and off the ignition 2 or 3 times for about 3 seconds each before you crank it. If it starts then, you might be looking at a fuel pump. I changed mine at 90000 just as a preventative item. Also since you mentioned the smell of gas right after it starts, if you shut it right off, is there any visible fuel on the engine, as in leak?

vipergg
06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
You could have some dirty injectors that are leaking after you shutoff the car . This would make it much harder to start . Did you try some fuel injector cleaner for a couple of tankfuls ? cheap thing to try .

tlaff
07-11-2005, 01:14 PM

I have the very same problem. I've tried fuel injector cleaner, replacing spark plugs, replaced the fuel pump, but the problem remains. I only have 65000 miles.on van. It seems like it started about 3-4000 miles ago. Has anyone figured out what the problem is? This is frustrating. :banghead:

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!