Decisions, Decisions...

CivRacer95
06-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Well, it goes like this. Recently, a cousin of mine has been looking for a new automobile. Not exactly "new", but a car for herself. Her mom is purchasing the car for her. Although, she absolutely loves my Honda. Adores it really. Don't ask why...anyway. My dad has also been looking to get rid of his car, and even thought about selling it to her. But he fears that her competive instincts can't be trusted with a car that can go 160 mph no prob. She really is competitive too.

So, there has been this car sitting at work in our parking lot. I've taken note of it and have glanced at it a few times. It's a 1992 300ZX (Auto). Well, the asking price is $2000. Here's where it gets a little confusing. My dad had offered to trade his car for the 300ZX if they bought it. But once again, he doesn't want to give my cousin his car, too dangerous for her. So...he wants me to give her my car, but in that exchange he will get the 300ZX and with that, I'll get his 3KGT. Get it by this point? So I will get the 3KGT. My cousin, will get my little Honda. And my Dad will get the 300ZX. A little confusing I know, but that's how it will work out.

I myself, love my Honda to death. I've put much time, money, and effort into making it what it is. I would hate to let it go. But on the flip side, I get my Dad's 3K with no strings attached. All mine. What would you guys do in a situation like this. I still want to drop in that H22 into the Civ as well. But I have a great opportunity to get the old mans car, for free! All I have to do is give my cousin my car. Interesting isn't it? So, you can see why I'm stuck in a rutt right now. This news was just brought to my attention today. But it all really depends on whether my cousin gets the car or not. So, we'll see. I'll keep you guys updated on whether or not she does. But I would like your input on what I should do. Thanks in advance. :)

mason_RsX
06-05-2005, 07:18 AM
Wow, thats a really good deal. I mean I know you love your Civ, but ur getting a 3KGT thats obviously been treated very well, for free! how can you say no? but I do understand not giving up the car you've been working on, and theres way too many ppl on AF with 3KGT's but still, thats a great opportunity, and one the probably wwont happen ever again

-Jayson-
06-05-2005, 10:31 AM
value you wise, your will make out great if you get the 3kgt, but if you dont like the car you wont be happy. Drive your dads car around for a day and see how you like it, then make your decision.

drftk1d
06-05-2005, 10:54 AM
do you have a choice?

you should wait till he gets that vr4 THEN trade cars.

xXxRocker5150
06-05-2005, 11:03 AM
lol, well civ being a former 3kGTer myself, I must warn you that there isn't too much N/A aftermarket for it, but I still think that you should go for the GT. plus IMO it's better lookin' than the 300zx or a civic.

CivRacer95
06-05-2005, 11:56 AM
The old man doesn't plan on gettng a VR4 for a long time. So that's out of the question.

One thing about his car though, it has a lot of miles. About 160K+ Mileage. So that's the dilemma of my decision. The new motor in my Civ has around 32K with the new motor. Plus, it's nearly as fast as the 3K. Although, the Civ will be faster once I pop in that new H22 as well. But, it's a free car.

I'll admit, the 3K does look pretty good though. But I don't know how much longer it will last me if I do get it. I'm no expert when it comes to 3K's.

-Jayson-
06-05-2005, 12:44 PM
yeah the milage is really high on that thing, i would say no just because of the milage. When you get up that high, regular maintainence just wont keep the car running. Thats when all the little expensive things start to break.

clawhammer
06-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Keep the Civic. Performance wise you're almost there, the 35k mile engine > 160+ k mile engine. There is no upgrade for the 3kgt (other than like i/h/e, not much really), but there is the H22 for the Civic. IMO it has more potential.

BP2K2Max
06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
But he fears that her competive instincts can't be trusted with a car that can go 160 mph no prob. She really is competitive too.
160 mph in an SL? i doubt that's true. i'd say 135-140 tops and it would definitely take a while to get to that speed. i've driven an SL and i didn't think it was anything too amazing. it's definitely a nice ride and pretty quick, but 160mph is approaching VR4 territory.

i'm not sure what i'd do in your position, any chance you can get the 300zx?

CivRacer95
06-05-2005, 03:13 PM
The 300ZX is an Auto. No way do I want that thing. The old man can have it :). As for the SL. I've been 140 in that thing no prob. That was as far as the old man took it. The speedo goes up to 160, but we've never tried to take it that far. Actuall top speed I believe ever reached in a stock SL was 158 mph. I'll try and find the article I read about it in.

But still, I'm thinking I may keep the Civ. But I am worried for my cousin as well. She could just very well keep the car. I'm not too sure. It really depends on her decision. If she wants to trade my dad, he is all for it. So, that's where I come in. It's a great deal on the 300ZX and my aunt doesn't want to pass up the opportunity for her daughter. So, we'll see how things pan out in the future.

Polygon
06-05-2005, 03:20 PM
There is no question in my mind that I would take your dad up on that opportunity, without hesitation.

This is a no lose situation for you because you get the best end of the deal and come out smelling like a rose.

BullDog71ss
06-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey, you can always put the money you were doing on an H22 swap into a swap for the GT(although it will cost a bit more on the GT).

But most importantly you will be getting away from that nasty fwd stuff and into the "ulimate driving machine" status, as zee Germans say.

BP2K2Max
06-05-2005, 07:04 PM
^3KGT's are fwd.

Igovert500
06-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Well honestly, I'd stick with the civ. An SL is a great car, but with that high mileage, even if you did some bolt ons, you'd still probably be stuck in the 14s at best. The civ has less mileage and you can still do the h22 swap.

In the looks department you would definantly want the SL. But performance-wise, I don't think it's as hyped as you are thinking. The SL cannot go 158...the vr4 can only do 160 stock and has another 100hp. Plus you'll still be FWD. You could dump money into the SL and do some head work or go the route of forced induction...but in the end you will have a higher mileage car that will start to show signs of it's age. Tough call, and I can see how tempting it is, but if it were me, I'd wanna keep the civ after all the work I'd put into it. While the SL maybe an instant upgrade right now...what does the future hold?

RedLightning
06-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Stick with yours.

BullDog71ss
06-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I always understood that non-turbo 3kgt was rwd, kinda like the non-turbo 300z is rwd...that's crapola, I now have no respect for that 6 cyl N/A, FWD boat of a car. Keep the Honda.

mason_RsX
06-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I never understood why ppl would go to the expense of getting a car but not getting the top performance model. Don't buy an rsx and settle for base, you mightaswell have bought a Civic

I didnt know the 3KGT was an SL, i just assumed it was a VR4...and th mileage isn't pretty...how do the mitsubishis hold up when they get old anyways???

Ace$nyper
06-05-2005, 09:53 PM
starting to catch on swapped hondas still arn't cool?

i'd pass on the SL start saving for another car or just buy mine :D

chevytrucks92
06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I believe I'd stick with what you got for now for no other reason then the fact you got a (relatively) new engine.

Now if you wanted to trade cars in the near future, then I would think the 3KGT would be get ya a little more money then the Civ, but again, I really dont know. I think I remember you saying your dad's car is a 91 and yours is a 95, so, your car may bring as much becuase of that!

My votes for keeping the Civ.

eps
06-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Keep the Civic dude. If your dad wants the Z so bad then he will have to give your cousin his car. Your car only lost by like what, 2 cars? So itís not like her getting your car is going to be much safer.

drewh4386
06-06-2005, 04:34 AM
I never thought I would say this so soon....................

Keep the Honda. Or your new name would be ShitRacer05 :tongue:

RaidenKing
06-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I love the 3kgt, it was my first car, it was quick and it was the most fun car I had ever driven until I got the 240sx. In your position, the mileage will tear you up on this one. Think about it, if the car decides to throw a rod (what my car did at 128k miles) or something then what will be the course of action taken to find you another mode of transportation?

The 3kgt is probably one of the sexiest of the affordable imports but with mileage statistics like this I'd have to say I'd stick with the honda, especially i you have future plans to drop an H22 in there or maybe apply a little FI to what you currently have.

CivRacer95
06-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow, thanks for the replies. I was sure most would say keep the Civ and I was right. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I read the article about the VR4 and not the SL going to 160. But my dad and I have done 140 no prob. Meh...But as you have all said, I think I will keep the Civ. But in fact, if anything ever did happen to the SL, I'd blame the old man for high mileage and then take his Z :biggrin:.

We're just worried for my cousins sake. She's not too much younger than me, but very competetive in fact. So, my car isn't incredibly fast or anything, quick and it would be safer and more descent for her. Plus it's easier to maintain that it would be for the 3KGT. Just watching out for family is all.

As for me, I think I'll keep the Civic anyway. No plans on FI anytime soon. Won't be for years in fact. The H22 will last me good. Mostly, I'll just be building it up until I decide to Boost it. Which of course, will take me a few years indeed :). Thanks again to all those that replied.

xXxRocker5150
06-06-2005, 05:31 PM
hey raiden king, when you threw a rod, had you done the 60K tune up yet??? and also I thought thourun said he got his SL up to 150????

RaidenKing
06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
hey raiden king, when you threw a rod, had you done the 60K tune up yet??? and also I thought thourun said he got his SL up to 150????

My car had 127k so I'm assuming the 60k was done on it but possibly not the 120k was done. It was a damn smoke screen when I pushed the gas though, white smoke billowed out of the exhaust until its dying days on my driveway and I'll never forget that car.

problemhatch
06-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Chris why would you trade? By getting a car for free w/ 160 k. It will be no time before you will start replacing parts in that car. They don't come cheap. Your h series will have less than 30 k on the motor plus you know by now by replacing honda parts is very cheap.

problemhatch
06-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Also i don't know if kris will charge you on the install, but as for me bring the beer, meat for the barbeque, thats all i want. We can bust it out in a day. If not you can crash at the casa and we can finish it up the day after.

KNice96
06-09-2005, 09:48 PM
....I'd blame the old man for high mileage and then take his Z :biggrin:.

I though you said you'd never get a car with an auto? :p

Anyways, KEEP your civic.

CivRacer95
06-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Also i don't know if kris will charge you on the install, but as for me bring the beer, meat for the barbeque, thats all i want. We can bust it out in a day. If not you can crash at the casa and we can finish it up the day after.

I'm keeping the Civ. The thing is, we were just doing it to help out my cousin. But, they never bought the Z, so we're keeping our cars. So, the plan is still going to be the H22. I've got my mind completely set on that. Nothing else will be done to my car, except some new wheels. I'm dying for new ones. I still have the bald ass stock ones :).

As for the swap, that sounds like a hell of a plan. Beer, barbeque, bitches...My 3 favorite B's. Sounds like a plan to me. I'm up for that when I do order the motor :thumbsup:.

silentscreams85
06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
the 3kgt would be tempting...but im sure the civ has alot more sentimental value..like u said personal time and money was invested in it...i would really think about this one...

CivRacer95
06-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Uh...I already decided... :)

kris
06-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I don't have the time to read through all the other posts, and dial-up sucks.

But if money is hard to put together for maintenance, repairs, etc. for the civic. Think of how much more it will be for a 3kgt.

Add your comment to this topic!