Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

noob question about wires and etc.

life is viewtiful
06-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey everyone,

Well, I know next to nothing about car audio, so these next few questions probably sound really stupid, but please just stick with me.

Anyways, I was just wondering, after replacing stock speakers with better ones, should you replace the wires that connect to the speakers also? By this I mean replace them with some of those fancy "high speed" gold wires or etc. Or are the stock wires good and it doesn't make a difference?

Also, just wondering, but are there any special names for the speakers inside the car? From reading through forums, I think I've figured that subs are the big ones that go in your trunk, and amps aren't speakers, but that's about it.

Thanks a bunch!

Brandish
06-05-2005, 06:16 PM
For the speaker wiring, it probably depends on a couple of things... Firstly how old the car is and what kind of shape it's in. A lot of older cars with door speakers will run into corrosion problems in the door boot where the wires go into the door, especially if there's a harness connector being used. In that case I'd definitely look into running some new wires, even if it is a lot of work. Secondly, it depends on how much power you're planning on putting through the wires. For installing an aftermarket stereo, factory wiring is usually sufficient enough to handle the power, but if you're planning on adding a 4-channel amp or something to power the speakers, then upgrading the wire may be beneficiary as most factory wiring comes no bigger than 18awg.

Add your comment to this topic!