Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Toyota pickup 22RE won't fire

KMC9
06-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi, I need some help. Last week my son was driving our 1989 Toyota Pick up and suddenly lost all power and could not get it restarted. We had it towed home and ran the trouble codes; we received a "12" - no NE signal is input to the ECM for 2 seconds or more after STA turns on and "14" - IGF signal from ignitor is not input to ECM for 4 consequitive ignition. Not sure what NE or IGF are and assume STA is starter but not sure. I did verify that we have 12 volts at the coil but when holding the primary lead from the coil close over the engine I was unable to see a spark. Also, when goinng through the wireing diagrahm, I was unable to find something called a "circuit opening relay" so that I could check it because I also noted that power was not making it back to the fuel tank although the fuel relay had power and tested good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

KMC9
06-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi, I need some help. Last week my son was driving our 1989 Toyota Pick up and suddenly lost all power and could not get it restarted. We had it towed home and ran the trouble codes; we received a "12" - no NE signal is input to the ECM for 2 seconds or more after STA turns on and "14" - IGF signal from ignitor is not input to ECM for 4 consequitive ignition. Not sure what NE or IGF are and assume STA is starter but not sure. I did verify that we have 12 volts at the coil but when holding the primary lead from the coil close over the engine I was unable to see a spark. Also, when goinng through the wireing diagrahm, I was unable to find something called a "circuit opening relay" so that I could check it because I also noted that power was not making it back to the fuel tank although the fuel relay had power and tested good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We have finally found the cause, it was the timing chain.

fourwd1
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Did it break, or did it jump a tooth cause it was so loose?

Add your comment to this topic!