97 3.2L auto transmission troubles

matt95gsr
06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Just replace the alternator on this thing and now it acts as though something is wrong with the transmission. Reverse works fine, as does L. However, if I put it in D,3, or 2 it never seems to go in first. Just acts like it's stuck in 3rd or something. It moves, but something is definitely not right. Weird thing is that this morning, the electrical sucked with the old alternator still in there, but there was nothing funny about the tranny at all. Any ideas?

anthonyn
06-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Just replace the alternator on this thing and now it acts as though something is wrong with the transmission. Reverse works fine, as does L. However, if I put it in D,3, or 2 it never seems to go in first. Just acts like it's stuck in 3rd or something. It moves, but something is definitely not right. Weird thing is that this morning, the electrical sucked with the old alternator still in there, but there was nothing funny about the tranny at all. Any ideas?

Your tranny is going into Limp Mode. This means it will stay in 3rd gear to protect itself. The most common cause of this problem is a faulty alternator. The tranny is very sensitive to voltage. If you replaced your alternator with an aftermarket one, then that should be suspect. Go for OEM if at all possible.

matt95gsr
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks for your reply, anthonyn. That's what I figured after I thought about it for a bit. Put the old alt back in place and everything's ok (except for the low voltage at 2200 rpm problem I was trying to get rid of). And you're right, it was an aftermarket reman.

Add your comment to this topic!