New Starter Still won't start

y2dkelly
06-04-2005, 05:31 PM
I have a 98 buick lesabre that has had the starter replaced but still will not start.
A week ago I pulled into the parking lot at the store turn the engine off as usual and when I came out it would not start. Not even a whin, totally dead. I had Advance Auto bring out their machine and was told the starter was bad. I purchased a new starter, but it still will not start, All I get is a loud click when I trun the key. Advance Auto then suggested shims, as the problem maybe that the flywheel was not engaging properly. After many tries and many combinations of shims, using from 1 to 4 shims nothing has changed. The battery is almost new and registering at 13.5, also tried to jump it still not luck. Any suggestions? Thanks :confused:

GTP Dad
06-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Check the ground wires to the car. It sounds like you are not getting good ground and therefore you will not get enough power to the starter to allow it to turn. Also did you try the starter before you installed it on the car. The one you bought may also be bad especially if it is remanufactured, I would have it tested. I also assume you put a new solenoid on the starter. If the solenoid is bad it will click but will not engage the starter. I hope this gives you somewhere to look.

y2dkelly
06-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Check the ground wires to the car. It sounds like you are not getting good ground and therefore you will not get enough power to the starter to allow it to turn. Also did you try the starter before you installed it on the car. The one you bought may also be bad especially if it is remanufactured, I would have it tested. I also assume you put a new solenoid on the starter. If the solenoid is bad it will click but will not engage the starter. I hope this gives you somewhere to look.
I thought the solenoid and the starter was one componet, I traced the wire from the battery cable to the starter . Can you please tell me where to look for the solenoid? and describe it to me. I did have the starter check this morning after I could not get the car to start, and it is good. Also it has been suggested to use shims any suggestion on using them? Thanks

y2dkelly
06-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I thought the solenoid and the starter was one componet, I traced the wire from the battery cable to the starter . Can you please tell me where to look for the solenoid? and describe it to me. I did have the starter check this morning after I could not get the car to start, and it is good. Also it has been suggested to use shims any suggestion on using them? Thanks

Smith1000
06-04-2005, 09:09 PM
I would clean the battery post real well and ensure that there is good contact there just to make sure the power is flowing good and the ground is good, etc. Then, I would check to see if I had plenty of power at the starter. Use a digital multimeter and check the voltage where the cable from the battery attaches to the starter (meets the starter)to make sure plenty of juice is getting to the starter (should read the same as the battery-13.5). If it still didn't turn over, I would probably put the key in the on positon (run position) and use a screw driver to jump the solenoid posts. If it turns over with the screw driver, then you probably have a starter with a bad soleniod. If it still didn't turn over by jumping the solenoid, it is probably a bad rebuilt starter. With the key in the run position, it should be getting power to the solenoid post.

y2dkelly
06-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I have been told that the solenoid is located inside of the starter, and since the starter check out to be in working order that the solenoid is also working properly. Advance auto advised me to check the voltage regulator, after refering to Chilton's It appears to be located within the alternator, Can anyone advise as to if the VR is inside of the alternator? My alternator appears to be one solid piece, their is no cover to remove to expose the VR as stated in some models. Any help is appreciated as I have to get my car running for work on Monday Morning. Thanks

Gocart879
06-05-2005, 09:11 AM
buy another starter, and replace the one you have, if it works the other one is bad, and return the other one in the box you bought the new one with. this will illiminate if the starter really is the problem

GTP Dad
06-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Based on what has been said here I would first check to see if the engine locked up. Try turning it over manually by putting a socket and bar on the large bolt on the harmonic balancer. You may have problems getting to this but this is the only way to check it. Sometimes you can get it to turn over by pulling on the belts.

If that proves to be alright then the next step is with the starter. It appears that either the starter is not producing enough power to turn the engine over or the starter itself is not engaging. The solenoid is located on top of the starter and looks like a small metal can with terminals coming out the back. When power is applied it engages the starter bendix and the starter then turns the engine. If it is engaging then the solenoid is alright.

If the starter has enough power to turn the engine over then alignment can be a problem although you should still hear the starter engage and try to turn the engine over. It may make a grinding noise and that indicates alignment needs adjusted and that is where the shims come in.

Your problem lies in two areas, voltage or engine. If the battery is too weak and the starter is not getting enough power to turn the engine it will engage but will not turn the engine over. The cables to the starter may also be bad causing such resistance that the voltage will not flow due to high resistance and that will cause problems. As I mentioned before the ground wire is extremely important.

Finally, don't worry about the voltage regulator it is not involved in the starting of the car. It may cause the battery not to charge properly but will not stop the car from starting.

I would find a fully charged battery from another car and connect it. If the car starts then the battery is the problem. If the car does not turn over then look as some of the other items I mentioned.

Was the starter you purchased a remanufactured starter or a brand new one? If it was a reman. there is a possibility that it has problems and I would take it back for an exchange. Even if it it new take it back and ask for another one. Install it and try it. If that starter does not work then you will need to look elsewhere for the problem. Please keep us posted and we will continue to try to get the thing working!!!

kahjdh
06-05-2005, 11:44 AM
if it just clicks i would replace the starter relay before i go out and buy another starter.

auto trainy
06-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Pull the positive battery cable and check for corrosion,there are two,one is for the starter and one is voltage for the rest,these are problem areas if in dought replace the cable.

THOMAS kERNAN
02-11-2006, 05:31 PM
I have a 98 buick lesabre that has had the starter replaced but still will not start.
A week ago I pulled into the parking lot at the store turn the engine off as usual and when I came out it would not start. Not even a whin, totally dead. I had Advance Auto bring out their machine and was told the starter was bad. I purchased a new starter, but it still will not start, All I get is a loud click when I trun the key. Advance Auto then suggested shims, as the problem maybe that the flywheel was not engaging properly. After many tries and many combinations of shims, using from 1 to 4 shims nothing has changed. The battery is almost new and registering at 13.5, also tried to jump it still not luck. Any suggestions? Thanks :confused:
DID YOU EVER GET THIS FIXED? SOUNDED LIKE A BAD GROUND

Add your comment to this topic!